Single DIN chassis stereo in a '71-'73 Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72conv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible
Anyone have a single DIN chassis stereo in their '71-'73 Mustang? How did you mount it? Is there a ready-made bezel available for this swap? CJ Pony Parts used to sell one, but that was years ago and they no longer list it. An internet search did not turn up anything. I guess I could modify an original bezel if I could find a nice one at a decent price.

I’m in the middle of doing mine. I obtained a nice drivers center bezel, and I aligned the insert so it fit between the chrome edge opening. Here are my pics of my efforts to date:

IMG_2841.jpegIMG_2842.jpeg

The real expert on this site is member TheDude. He has helped me get this far. And he’s a nice guy, go figure 😁.

If anyone’s interested - I pulled this from my 71 and reverting to stock bezel and radio. Perhaps not as nice as yours, can clean it up a bit and reveal the chrome underneath. I’m not sure what to two extra holes are for. IMG_3404.jpegIMG_3407.jpegIMG_3406.jpegIMG_3405.jpeg

Last edited:
My L-code has been molded for single din. Came with a am/fm/cassette, but I think the power transistors are shot. Need to have repaired or find a replacement.

My radio bezel has 4 holes as well, it’s just difficult to see in the pic.
Since just about everything on this car has been swapped out for incorrect parts over its 53 years, I figured the bezel was for a later year Mustang - perhaps for indicator lights or something. The replacement ACP I'm putting in doesn't have the two holes facing the front. My Marti Report says it came with a "Stereosonic Tape System and AM Radio", but I don't know if that means it'd be a single DIN or not.

Last edited:
Since just about everything on this car has been swapped out for incorrect parts over its 53 years, I figured the bezel was for a later year Mustang - perhaps for indicator lights or something. The replacement Dynacorn I'm putting in doesn't have the two holes facing the front. My Marti Report says it came with a "Stereosonic Tape System and AM Radio", but I don't know if that means it'd be a single DIN or not.
This is a 1972 factory "Stereosonic" tape player with AM radio. Second and Third photo is DIN stereo in the original stereo's cutout.

Attachments

• 20240310_182220.jpg
    20240310_182220.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240310_182903.jpg
    20240310_182903.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240310_182933.jpg
    20240310_182933.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
I thought they all had the 4 holes. My 73 has provision in the center cluster to attach it with those 4. I don’t think it’s a 73 thing since these are sold as 71-73. Others more knowledgeable will know.

There ARE 4 mounting holes, but in my take-off bezel there’re two more holes in the face (circled).
IMG_3110.png
Anyone know about this?

Below is the new ACP bezel without the those other holes.

IMG_3454.jpeg

Last edited:
The two circled holes in dtmasoGT5's photo are not original. Some previous owner must have had something mounted there, or maybe they planned to add support to the DIN chassis radio with some homemade brackets. There isn't a good way to get rid of the holes, but they could be "hidden" using a couple of Ford-looking screws (to sorta make 'em look like they belong).

Anyone have a single DIN chassis stereo in their '71-'73 Mustang? How did you mount it? Is there a ready-made bezel available for this swap? CJ Pony Parts used to sell one, but that was years ago and they no longer list it. An internet search did not turn up anything. I guess I could modify an original bezel if I could find a nice one at a decent price.
I got a JVC unit with Bluetooth phone and streams music and has a back up camera. I had a spare bezel and trimmed it to fit the supplied cage. The cage has tabs you bend away from the unit,which holds it quite well. The radio unit does kinda deep in the well. You could add a piece of open cell foam to the top( there is a metal separator between the radio and the ducts or gauges however your car is equipped. I did not do the foam as was not needed. The back up camera display is small and takes some getting used to. The camera has a frame that mounts behind your liscence plate. You can run the trigger wire to your back up lamp sockets to activate it. Fastbacks are had to see out of!

I’ve got a single din just like what roboconklin has. I found those bend out tabs weren’t sufficient to hold the sleeve in tight enough to the face. So, I epoxyed the sleeve to the face, and once installed, I have to sag in the radio.

I have arranged to buy a restorable radio bezel from a fellow member. When I have some time later this year, I'll look into modifying that bezel to mount my DIN chassis Kenwood stereo. If it doesn't work out, I'm not out much money.

I’ve got a single din just like what roboconklin has. I found those bend out tabs weren’t sufficient to hold the sleeve in tight enough to the face. So, I epoxyed the sleeve to the face, and once installed, I have to sag in the radio.
You can use a bracket that pushes off the bezel and screw it to the radio chassis to pull the radio tight in the bezel…it gives it strength. Just try to use an existing hole to screen into as not to damage the radio’s board or internals. So kiss the shortest length of screw that can reach. Of course if possible.Good luck …take your time and be careful.

I'd rather not post a pic of the radio bezel I cut up to fit a DIN pullout radio back in the early 90s. :eek::eek:

The sleeve would usually work just fine, but it would depend on the radio mfr. You could always JB Weld a couple strips on the backside to increase the thickness of the bezel for the tabs to lock onto.

Something you may run into is the 71-73 Cougar bezel. It has more radiused corners and attaches with five screws instead of four. Pic below from the 429 Megasite

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/audio.htm

1710942289377.png

On another car I have, I put a Bluetooth amp under the seat. Ran power and speaker cable to the amp. Sounds great and 100% hidden. The AM Radio is still in the dash and works with the single dash speaker.

Back