Disc brake conversion behind the '73 slotted wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSchofield

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
I'm interested in buying the Wilwood 140-13477-R front disc conversion kit for my '72 Mach1 that has the '73 slots on it from the previous owner. The kit says will fit behind most 14" & 15" wheels but may not fit behind OEM 14" drum brake wheels. Since I don't have a '73 I'm curious, were those wheels offered on both factory drum or disc brake systems? Has anyone done a conversion kit with those wheels and was there any clearance issues?

Thank you for any info you can provide me!

If I were to add custom wheels to my Mach, where the disc brake and caliper would show, my idea for some time now is to have another set of stock calipers powder coated in a Red, or a Yellow, like aftermarket disc brake set-ups are, but would be factory calipers. My thought is that, this way, I would have the look of custom brakes, but availability of servicing like factory. I'll bet a majority of people would see the color and accept it as a high performance modification.

The drum brake wheel issue is for earlier Fords. Wilwood also has a very detailed drawing so you can measure your wheels to confirm fitment.

View attachment 73204
Using this dimensions sheet may be your best bet. Not easy to measure exactly but it can give you an idea. I had this same kit with my 15" Magnuns and had no issues and there was definitely a gap in between the caliper and wheel. However, I never measured and those brakes/wheels have been long gone.

Back