DMV versus Reality?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one thing that I did question but did not dispute (intuition tells me that this would be a bad idea while standing at a DMV window) was the weight. The clerk looked it up and I was guessing in the neighborhood of 3600-3700#. She tells me it's 2750 or something like that. I figure she mixed it up with a Mustang ll or they compensated for the missing sheet metal consumed by rust.
Wish they did come in that light. If you look at the door sticker you will see the Front weight, Rear weight and the total and they never add up. Everyone is different depending on the options. But somewhere around 4,000 so they are heavy for sure. That is one of the items that Marti does not have for some reason. You have to give him the weight if you are getting a new sticker or he will just pick one he already has.

Not title, but plates....

Here in Michigan a couple of years ago, they changed the cost of plates from being based on weight of vehicle to value of vehicle when purchased new... And of course that has made some really stupid costs!!

My 79 Pinto plate is like $40 a year. My wifes Chevelle, which has been all re-done so worth a good amount, is about the same, $40-50 or so.

Now, we just got a 97 Explorer for my daughter, it is $150.  I know of several people that have/had 90's and early 2000's "Luxury" cars like Caddys, that pay $150+... Doesn't matter if it is a $300 beater now, they go by original value! So good for something like our Chevelle, (And my Mustang this summer when I get it going! ), but doesn't make much sense.

Of course, this is the same state that did trailer plates for $20-40  a year, then went with new plates that run $75-200 but are lifetime, don't have to be renewed each year. So after 3-4 years, you are basically ahead of the game on smaller trailers! The catch is that you can't transfer the plate to a new trailer, if you sell the trailer the plate is no good. So I've "Heard" (cough, cough), of people just switching the plate onto a new trailer. Unless it is drastically different, like a small boat trailer onto a 5th wheel camper, nobody would ever know.. And that's only if ever checked against the registration, which I've never seen

I moved from NJ to Delaware and brought the two 73 verts with me. Just to transfer the titles and register the cars cost me $900 each on a book valued of 20k each. What a rip off!

Nebraska charges 7% sales tax on the purchase price plus all the other crap fees and stuff when you title and license a vehicle for the first time, regardless of the age of the vehicle. Those $60,000+ fancy new F-150's and Silverado's are the DMV's bread and butter and they severely punish you for having anything nice. Vehicles 14 years old and older are charged a flat amount regardless of what they are or how much they are thought to be worth. My 1997 Ford Ranger costs less than $30 annually to renew if they are not issuing new plates. My Mach1 has vanity plates, so it costs more than the Ranger, but it's not terrible.

Back