Do it Right

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
While not successful on the 1st try to fire up the mustang, noticed a stain under the rear area. Turns out after adding gas. tank leaks.. Ordered a new fuel tank kit from CJ's today. Usually would have sealed it, whole tank sprayed with undercoating and would have been a mess stripping to fix. The beat goes on and my car is just getting newer.. lol

Alan L

While not successful on the 1st try to fire up the mustang, noticed a stain under the rear area. Turns out after adding gas. tank leaks.. Ordered a new fuel tank kit from CJ's today. Usually would have sealed it, whole tank sprayed with undercoating and would have been a mess stripping to fix. The beat goes on and my car is just getting newer.. lol

Alan L
And the rebuild continues :) You guys are so lucky to have part shops within driving distance and shipping fees are next to nothing. You'll have her running in no time. Good job!

when I pulled my tank I found some rust on it. Not bad but I think I will just get a new one and not wounder if I will have problems later.

It is funny I would do that to the tank but yet wondering if I should just fix the rear quarters now and paint it or replace them as I know down the road they will need to be done??

yep! tuff question doc. on my piece of. oh excuse me, piece of history, everytime i went to fix one thing i found two more. i have gone so far now that the only thing left is the doors and the roof or so it seems. but as the guys told me. BUILD IT LIKE YOU WANT IT. if you want it forever replace i would think. if not fixem up and enjoy. I guess to me the bottom line is if i'm going to put a paint job on that is going to cost me BIG bucks, then i dont want it showing rust in 6 months or even 2 years, but if i'm doing a stock paint that can be repaired or matched then i can always go back. if your going with the truck color thats stock paint that can be fixed.

yep! tuff question doc. on my piece of. oh excuse me, piece of history, everytime i went to fix one thing i found two more. i have gone so far now that the only thing left is the doors and the roof or so it seems. but as the guys told me. BUILD IT LIKE YOU WANT IT. if you want it forever replace i would think. if not fixem up and enjoy. I guess to me the bottom line is if i'm going to put a paint job on that is going to cost me BIG bucks, then i dont want it showing rust in 6 months or even 2 years, but if i'm doing a stock paint that can be repaired or matched then i can always go back. if your going with the truck color thats stock paint that can be fixed.
Well what I am starting to think is 2 things.

1> I have the hole car apart and it would be the right thing to replace the quarters.

2> I really want to get the car on the road and I am going to paint it the first time myself and I am thinking it will need to be repainted...maybe by Scott when he if free????LOL so I could just fix the quarters paint and see how good I do!!! I know what I should do ....... will I give in????

NOW YOU HAVE GONE WHERE I CANT READ YOUR MIND. BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE READ ON YOUR POSTS YOU WILL FIGURE OUT THE RIGHT CHOICE, AND IM NOT SO SURE YOUR PAINT WILL NEED REDONE. KEEP THE FAITH WE ALL HAD A FIRST PAINT JOB.

NOW YOU HAVE GONE WHERE I CANT READ YOUR MIND. BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE READ ON YOUR POSTS YOU WILL FIGURE OUT THE RIGHT CHOICE, AND IM NOT SO SURE YOUR PAINT WILL NEED REDONE. KEEP THE FAITH WE ALL HAD A FIRST PAINT JOB.
Ok your faith is inspiring!! I am going to paint my old 1993 38 mpg beater car to see how I do first. I put a quick patch on the quarters to do the paint color pic and looking at it, for a 1 hour fix it needs more time but would be workable.

Bottom line I think I should just replace the quarters now.

Thanks for keeping me on the right path!!!

Pappy, how far do you live from Ohio mustang parts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The beat goes on and my car is just getting newer.. lol

Alan L
I hope all our cars remains as old as possible and not drain our wallets buying new parts!
Men, the way we do things at the stangs, depend to much on the budget, and how much we want to use our cars, for example, i just did a paint job to my car, i spend 580 dollars and 1 week, i tell the guy that paint it in my garage no to scrath to much, that i don want to find anyting thar for sure is there, all jobs and rust, my car is a dayli driver and i dont have to much money to put in it, and i´ll be pretty pised off if somebody scracht it or give it a door ding, everybody like my car, i know its not a concours car, but it drives my 23 miles every day, and a lot of people smiles when they see it.

A frien of mine just bougth a 76 Corvette, in México we don´t have corvettes till 1994, so there are no parts for those in México, it was a driveable car, but he started restoring it, and dismanteling and he runs out of money and out of car, for me all depends on the budget.

Back