Do you have a "pet peeve" about your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess good thing I have a Convertible, because rear visibility is not an Issue :D
Wow! you can actually fit people in the back seat?

My kids hate riding in the back seat :D
When I was a kid we loved to ride on the hump in the winter.

Three things:

1. Backlight angle. I'm not so sure I'll be able to get used to it. As a novelty, it's cool... but I can only imagine [since I haven't actually driven it yet] that it's a major PITA to back up. Hence my plans of a back-up camera.

2. Woodgrain trim. Total cheese... wood grain belongs on Grandma's station wagon, not a hot rod muscle car. Totally going to replace wood grain with carbon fiber vinyl.

3. Tail light shape/design. Worst ever. Trapezoidal shape screams "Brady Bunch" to me, and the configuration (in having the reverse light in the middle of a reflector stuck between the active lights) is totally out-of-characted for the "Mustang" in general. IMHO, they should've continued with the 3 vertical combination parking/signal lights, and detached round reverse lights in the valance.

Otherwise, I love it and can't wait to start enjoying mine once it's on the road.
I'm stripping off the wood grain on the door panels, applying a texture, and painting it to match the seat stripe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to say rear visibility.

It is like a pillbox, you can't see anything

out the back. Then again, when driving

a Mustang what's behind you is not important.

mike
Yup...I like to call them bunkers..lol...You defenatly feel like you are in one...The doors are really thick..And you got slits to look threw...Not the worst rear veiw of any car..But its not great that is for sure..lol

1. Backlight angle. I'm not so sure I'll be able to get used to it. As a novelty, it's cool... but I can only imagine [since I haven't actually driven it yet] that it's a major PITA to back up. Hence my plans of a back-up camera.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned trying to clean the inside of the flatback backlight. I have a 66 fastback, and cleaning that thing is a bitch. I can't imagine how difficult it is in the 71-73's.

The steering wheel makes a squeaking noise when turned. I had

a mechanic take it apart and lube it (do not know with what);

helped a little for a short time. Is a tilt wheel. Tried to spray

some silicone in without taking apart but that didn't help.

The steering wheel makes a squeaking noise when turned. I had

a mechanic take it apart and lube it (do not know with what);

helped a little for a short time. Is a tilt wheel. Tried to spray

some silicone in without taking apart but that didn't help.
Here's the solution: apply dielectric grease on the back side of the steering wheel where the horn contacts rub. Solves the problem every time.

I thought of something else while driving home from work this morning: the wind noise is louder with the top up than with the top down. At 65 mph you can hardly talk to the passenger. :-/

All,

Reproduction parts! Some of the reproduction rubber parts do not even hold up and are not even close to the original. For example, the new re pop outer weather strips on my 1973 coupe dry rotted and cracked less than 5 years on the mustang. The foam gasket on Integral A/C Box , seals the A/C and Heater core tubes to firewall, was too big and did not even have the notches or cutouts like the original. Clean original and reused. The fuel tube to trunk floor seal also dry rots. Replaced twice and will install 3 time.

The left and right mirrors are about the only thing that I wish were a bit bigger.

mustang7173

After I solved the dim gauges problem, the only thing that really bugs me is the reflection of the dash in the windshield. Sometimes can't see a thing.
Agreed X 100. That reflection is murder.

As far as backing a fastback, you've got to become "one" with the car, then it comes natural lol.

What reflection are referring to? I don't recall any distracting reflections on mine. I have a black interior.

Honestly, I don't recall ever noticing this! I have driven my car 350,000 miles over the years in every condition imaginable.

I am tall (6'4") and sit way back (power seat), so that may have something to do with it.

Another peeve of mine. The placement of the rear view mirror mount on the winddhield. Due to the severe angle of the back window on the sportsroofs, the mirror was mounted lower on the widshield to try and give the average driver a better viewing angle out the back window. For tall drivers like me, this causes the mirror to almost completely block the forward view to the right looking out the windshield.

I simply remounted the mirror to the top of the windshield so I can see. Worked great for me.

Last edited:
My biggest pet peeve is finishing one project and moving on to the next only to have to do twice as much work because somewhere in the last 40 years someone cheaply bondoed body from dents, covered this up and that up. It just makes me sit back and scream WHY?? As loud as I can as long as I can every time I move to a new step.

I guess another pet peeve would be previous owners who hack up wiring harnesses....I spent all Saturday replacing mine due to a previous owner hacking away at random wires. Seems I run into this problem with every car I buy, lol.

My biggest pet peeve is finishing one project and moving on to the next only to have to do twice as much work because somewhere in the last 40 years someone cheaply bondoed body from dents, covered this up and that up. It just makes me sit back and scream WHY?? As loud as I can as long as I can every time I move to a new step.
Welcome to my world...

how dim the dash lights are at night and how there is no easy way to get to them to try and fix them WITHOUT pulling the whole dash out (as far as I know)

Also that fact that while I know it sits a bit during the week, it can be annoying to have to let it sit and run for 5-10 minutes to let the auto choke come off before I can really drive it anywhere unless I want it stalling out on me right after I leave the house

Last edited by a moderator:
Back