Door speaker placement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
Allow me to preface this posting with an apology if it has been covered. I was unable to find an answer to my speaker issue.

I have an unusual situation. The P.O. of the car has welded up the speaker holes in the doors. (photo #1)

I have a set of Polk Audio, 5 x 7 x 2.75" speakers to install in the doors.

I started by removing the knock out panel at speaker location in the door panel. (photo #1)

I then centered the speaker on the door panel opening. It appears to me that with the speaker centered on the opening, the speaker is too low, and the speaker grill would not attach properly. (photo #2)

I recall seeing a photo showing a speaker in a door, without the grill installed, and the speaker was not centered in the opening. Is this correct?

I would like to install the speakers so that the front face of the speaker rest against the inside of the door, for an almost flush fit.

Could someone provide me with a dimension, possibly from the bottom of the door, to the bottom of the speaker, so that I could layout the door for cutting, and allowing me clearance for the speaker grill?

I have not handled a set of the rectangular speaker grills and I do not know the outside dimensions of the speaker grills. or the method of mounting the grills.

Thanks in advance

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

Back