eBay tilt column

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Has anyone used one of these after market columns?  They are a lot cheaper than the ididit's and you can't seem to find used ones that aren a fortune. these come in different lengths.  being a tall guy this might be useful.

Tilt Column

YOu may want to consider SEAT TRACK extensions that are offered for other cars !!! Don't get me wrong BUT alot easier and cheaper IMO. I assume clearing the wheel isn't your only issue! ((would like more leg room, arm extension and "gut clearance"

Mark

I have a standard column now and want a tilt.  I was looking at the length as another benefit.  If these tilts will work it is a whole lot cheaper than a used tilt and won't need to be rebuilt

Thanks!

Wade

Note that you'll have to relocate your ignition switch.

What are the used Tilt's going for these days? I picked up a tilt YEARS ago, and I mean, before the internet. Took me three years to hunt one down. It's a great upgrade. The great thing about the internet is it is easier to find stuff for sale. The problem with the internet is you are competing against more buyers.

I am seeing $400+ if I can find one and those "may" need to be rebuilt. I have rebuilt a Chevy Corvette tilt before so a Mustang shouldn't be that much different. I just cant see spending $400. I did go back and look at these and it appears that they all are non key operated. That seems odd to me and does not make any sense. This is a good to have upgrade, I have enough to do as it is. I am just always looking at CL and ebay to see what is out there and pick things up if they are decently priced.

I know "decently priced" is very subjective though.

Thanks

Wade

The hardest part of the "tilt column is the " tilt specific rag joint" coupler on the column! I don't know why Ford did it differently - BUT converting a non tilt to a tilt recently required obtaining that part too!

It's funny, my car wasn't a tilt but the prior owner provided that to me so I did it (really didn't care) now that it is in I'm leaving it. (kind of like the folddown)

Mark

The hardest part of the "tilt column is the " tilt specific rag joint" coupler on the column!   I don't know why Ford did it differently - BUT converting a non tilt to a tilt recently required obtaining that part too!

It's funny,  my car wasn't a tilt but the prior owner provided that to me so I did it (really didn't care)  now that it is in I'm leaving it.  (kind of like the folddown)

Mark
The rag joint is not specific to tilt. I have 3 cars with tilt columns and a couple spares. You can get the rag joints at any parts house off the Help rack, Dorman brand. I don't have the part number right now but I have bought and installed a couple just recently, like $10.00. I think maybe the metal part of the rag joint might be specific but not the rubber part. You have to remove the old rivets and use the bolts to install but they work.

Back