Edelbrock intake and carb - what a difference

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 351c 2V
I finally got some time with my mechanic buddy and removed the stock intake manifold and 2barrel carb and replaced them with Edelbrock performer intake manifold and 650cfm thunder series AVS carb... WOW, what a difference!

Excellent throttle response and the engine idles much better. My engine was running really rich with the 40 year old carb, but now it is smooth as silk and really responds nicely.

We have some more fine tuning to do... We think the timing needs advanced a bit, but ran out of time.

I couldn't be happier. Between this and the new rear leaf springs, this is like a completely different car!

But, is it louder?

Headers or stock exhaust?

Stock cam?

Isn't it great to feel the fruits of your efforts? Especially if the fruits are melons.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a great thing when adding a new carb changes the personality of the car. Congrats! I'm glad it's working out well for you.

For now, stock cam and exhaust manifolds, but the prior owner installed dual exhaust without any H or X pipe... Just two straight exhausts... I believe the same thing is sold by Jegs for $209.

Next step is to replace the factory 2.75 rear end with a set of Richmond 3.89 gears and a TracLock carrier.

Shortly thereafter, the FMX transmission will be replaced with a wide ratio AOD provided by Silverfox Performance Transmissions.

Should have all that done by the Memorial Day weekend.

Back