Best Carb for the job????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with the  670 Holley, just the lame marketing that they're "drop on and go" out of the box. No carb is ever that ready to go, I don't care who makes it.
 Agreed, but it was close apart from being fat at idle. The 3/32" holes drilled in the primary plates fixed that issue. Not everyone will agree with that either.

Yeah, the guy doing my machine work gets all bent out of shape when he sees drilled throttle plates.
Maybe he doesn't know why.

Heck, even my daughter, who used to live with a short track racer guy, knew about that "trick'

Sorry for the late replies!

The sending unit and tank are new and the lines are pretty fresh too.. might be a bit of the inside of the filter... maybe it was real old but I think I’ve got that portion of the issue sorted.

I honestly wish I knew these tricks. Enough reading and maybe I’ll have some fundamentals down lol.

I’m hearing good things about FST carbs. And I had ahold of the summit catalog the other day. What particular model of the summit would you suggest?

There are ones I saw that look like Rochester style carbs and others that look like holleys

I ran a Quick Fuel 680 HR with vacuum secondaries on the 71 Mach 1 i did last year. Runs great on a mainly stock motor.
The 680 QF hr is also what I had the builder install. The builder swears by the Quick fuel carbs. He has been building race engines here since 1967. 

If you care to see it idle and have a 6k rpm dyno run I posted the you tube link here. The engine is a little above stock at 392 hp. Its a 351 Cleveland original to the car a 1971 mach. 

I have not installed the engine yet but its ready as soon as I get a little help. Cant really have people around due to the wifes cancer. Corona virus and all.

6k rpm dyno run  

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the late replies!

The sending unit and tank are new and the lines are pretty fresh too.. might be a bit of the inside of the filter... maybe it was real old but I think I’ve got that portion of the issue sorted.

I honestly wish I knew these tricks. Enough reading and maybe I’ll have some fundamentals down lol.

I’m hearing good things about FST carbs. And I had ahold of the summit catalog the other day. What particular model of the summit would you suggest?

There are ones I saw that look like Rochester style carbs and others that look like holleys
 Did I mention replacing ALL the rubber line bits with Fuel Injector hose as it is Ethanol resistant on the inside, not so much on the outside! In Ontario, we can get non-Ethanol Premium, but at times when you can't, you won't have to worry about ethanol eating the rubber. 

Also and this is my pet peeve, please do NOT use those damn gear clamps anywhere on fuel lines, but use proper clamps, screw down or spring.

As for carbs, it's your choice and budget. My opinion leans toward Quick Fuel HR series for the 4 barrel.

Sorry to hear about your situation machattack. Thanks for sharing that video! Engine sounds smooths, takes me back to my first job putting engines on a dyno and setting them up for pulls.

Stanglover, it’s so funny you mentioned it! I used the proper clamps, I sourced them at Napa just last week when I swapped out that fuel filter. Those little gear clamps, forgive the pun but I have to, GRIND MY GEARS! Lol

So quick fuel sounds pretty universally loved around here

Sorry to hear about your situation machattack. Thanks for sharing that video! Engine sounds smooths, takes me back to my first job putting engines on a dyno and setting them up for pulls.

Stanglover, it’s so funny you mentioned it! I used the proper clamps, I sourced them at Napa just last week when I swapped out that fuel filter. Those little gear clamps, forgive the pun but I have to, GRIND MY GEARS! Lol

So quick fuel sounds pretty universally loved around here
 Gear clamps as far as I'm concerned are great for temporary use during set-up or testing, but then change them to proper clamps. They do have their uses, just not on fuel lines. Glad to learn you got the proper ones and are on my page so to speak.

Back