Engine bay wiring identify problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andreas1973MustangMach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach1
HI guys

I know i have an other threat too.

I hope thats not a problem.

As u see im not the best electric guy...

I have in my engine bay on the driver side 5 cables :s with no idea what they are for.

The story:

I switched the engine from the 351c to an 460cid engine.

The 351c was with an air condition. My 460 has not.

Here are the pics.

I also checked the electric assembly first before i post here couldnt find something

For identify it would be easist way to use 1-5 from left to right.

Here is the pic from where the cables come.

2013-04-08 18.15.08.jpg

2013-04-08 18.16.41.jpg

2013-04-08 18.14.32 mustang.jpg

2013-04-08 18.14.53.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...on the last picture, going from left to right:

leftmost: three prong connector: I have it in my inventory, but it's something to do with gizmos and gadgets and not necessary for actual operation of the car. *G*

4 prong hooded: neutral safety switch/backup light connector

blue 2 prong, but square: seat belt stuff

single white female bullet: connector to PRNDL lamp

4 prong flat: oil, temp, coil, carb solenoid connector

OK!

Thanks.

So does this mean that normaly the cables are in the interior and not in the engine bay?

and the last one "4 prong flat". What does he do?

I also switched from an automatic to manuel transmission

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Andreas

No, all of those plugs should be in the engine bay, past the humongous rubber grommet.

For a manual transmission, you'll need to jumper the two NSS wires to allow the signal to continue on to the starter solenoid. Those wire colors are blue/red.

Man I suck

three prong connector:

4 prong hooded: neutral safety switch/backup light connector

blue 2 prong, but square: seat belt stuff

single white female bullet: connector to PRNDL lamp

4 prong flat: oil, temp, coil, carb solenoid connector

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK

For the understanding:

three prong connector: is not needed

4 prong hooded: also not needed cause i dont have an autoamtic transmission

blue 2 prong: no need

but

single white female bullet: where is the PRNDL LAMP and what does it do?

4 prong flat: and how to connect this? I dont have the other cable...

Thanks

Thats my first car and im young :-/

You do need the 4 prong hooded plug because it also controls your backup lamps. There should be a harness that attaches to the shifter on your manual transmission.

The PRNDL lamp (Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Low) is for an automatic transmission shifter only.

The 4 prong flat plug mates to a gauge harness that goes to oil, temperature, pressure, and carb solenoid. These can be bought at any Mustang catalog store.

U are right! I love u thanks ^^

I will check ohio or mustangsunlimited for the gauge plug

Thanks

At Admin it can be closed!

I did a auto to 4-spd conversion back in the 80's. For backup lights I installed a dash mounted rocker switch that allowed me to manually turn on the back up lights in lieu of the plunger switch that mounts on a tang at the 4 spd shifter assembly. It worked well and allowed me to pass inspection.

I did a auto to 4-spd conversion back in the 80's. For backup lights I installed a dash mounted rocker switch that allowed me to manually turn on the back up lights in lieu of the plunger switch that mounts on a tang at the 4 spd shifter assembly. It worked well and allowed me to pass inspection.
Yeah also a good idea :D but i restor this ass since 3 years so if its possible im searching to get it in any correct way running :D

Thx!

Latest posts

Back