Engine Sludge and lifter noise ohhh my!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really should consider rebuilding your existing engine....especially if it's a date-correct Q code. This engine should be a 4 bolt main with open chamber 4v heads. Take it to a shop with a good reputation. As far as whether or not to bore it....unless the cylinder bores are in exceptional condition, just bore it and replace the pistons...it's not worth saving $600. If you were doing the job yourself, that's a different story...and for my time (doing it myself...and I've done a bunch of 'em), I'd still spend the $600.

I see you're willing to drop $5000 on an engine....you should be able to replicate that engine by rebuilding your existing and still get it R&R'd (remove & replace) for that price.
good advice...that is the direction im heading. A nice stock rebuild. The new pistons and small bore are a good point. any other advice on this rebuild?

I really dont want to drop 5k on an engine...the rebuit one i linked earlier could maybe be bought for 3000..and that would include all the goodies like sanderson headers, new flyheel. And it has included and already edlebrock intake and new carb and a few other things...thoght that was a sweet deal

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fem-csmhp732-310/overview/make/ford

This is just one of the general kits, you would need a 4V intake manifold gasket, cam, lifters and timing chain set.

Timing chain sets are usually under 35 bucks.

Before ordering, the block would need to be machined and the crank turned to determine which exact kit you need.

Machinist would also need to resize rod ends and your heads will need to be gone through. I can't emphasize this point enough, the stock ford valves should be replaced with 1 piece valves. Ford valves when they fail destroy your engine. Springs should match your cam choice, so it is usually best to get a cam kit with the matching lifters and springs. A good set of valves will run about 300 bucks. Hydraulic flat tappet cam lifters and spring should be under 300 bucks

I would recommend roller rocker arms as an upgrade of the factory ones, though they are not a necessity. If your rocker arms are not in good condition factory types can be found for a reasonable price. Roller Rocker arms are about 225 a set

Locally, the machine work and balancing for both heads and block tend to run about a grand depending on what you need.

Lots of times, the machine shop will assemble the engine for under $500.00 additional

So components and labor to rebuild your engine would be right at 3K plus whatever you decide to do on the intake and carb and the labor to remove and reinstall.

The problem with buying a rebuilt long block is you will likely get a used or reground cam and the valves are unlikely to be replaced. Often the pistons are original with new rings and the cylinder walls are just honed, so they will not be any better than the worn donor block.

.010 and .020 oversized pistons are more expensive, .030 is pretty much a standard. But your machinist will measure the block and determine what will be best.

Having it done is more time consuming than just buying one, but you should end up with a better and more reliable engine.

Gosh if you will give me until into the new year I will go check with one of the NASCAR engine builders here for what he will charge to do your engine. I bought a 72 CJ car that had the engine built on the stand never started that I was going to take to him. I do not trust unknown work and it had triple valve springs with pressed in rocker studs so I know that is going to fail.

I cannot believe some of the prices I am seeing here. Maybe I have been away too long and prices have exploded. It takes a few hours to bore and hone a block. Deck it if needed. The heads take more work if you install the inserted seats. The crank is same no matter who does it just needs to be right. The balance is a few hours work. It is not rocket science to build a great stock engine with a few performance upgrades.

I will for sure post a thread after New Year on what you can get it done for.

I use to go cart race with this guy. It has been so long since I walked in his shop he won't remember me but he use to do great work for a low cost. Some of his engines have won points championships in NASCAR.

I just don't want to talk out of place he might not want to do anything for the street anymore.

David

Back