Engine swap register question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the inspecting authority the Austrian TUV? If so, and they are like the German TUV, you may have a hard time persuading them. It may come down to checking the engine designator in the VIN and purchasing and applying the appropriate engine decals (emissions on right cowl, engine designator number on valve cover, and air cleaner decal). Also remove the 429 metal engine tag if it is still on the engine. You might contact the administrator at www.ponysite.de for advice. I'm sure he has experience dealing with the inspection authorities in Germany and may be of some help. I hope you can make something work.

Chuck

The 1973 mustang never came from the factory with a 429 but the car is the same basic design as the 1971 model which did. It depends on if the law is the engine in the car must have been offered for the model year or if it is a safety concern that the car can be safe with the motor.

If it is a safety issue then you should be able to argue that the car is the same as a 1971 and there is no issue with the larger motor being installed. (and put some heavier front springs in too...)

Yeah thats what it is.

The same basic design so there cant be any problems. And because the 460cid engine is the same like the 429cid there should be no problems too.

But with the austrian donkys i can no discuss about that. So i need these certificate from a work shop or a car shop.

Regards

Andreas

Alright. The europe Ford told me the name from this certificate is called:

- certificate of nonobjection [American English]

- document of compliance

Does someone know this?

Regards

Andreas

Andreas,

I took the liberty of contacting Ford via email regarding your query and attached is their response:

Dear B.T.,

Hi, my name is Harold and I am a representative of Ford. I appreciate that you contacted our department inquiring as to how to obtain a "Certificate of Non-objection" and "Document of Compliance". I am here to address your email.

As a manufacturer of new motor vehicles, Ford Motor Company is required to issue a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin when a vehicle is produced. This document enables a U.S. Dealer to transfer ownership of a new vehicle to a customer for titling and registration purposes. At the time of sale, Dealers will include the Certificate of Origin in the packet sent to the state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to register a vehicle.

A Certificate of Origin is produced only once at the time of manufacture. If a customer is looking for a Certificate of Origin, they first need to visit their original selling Dealer or their state's DMV because they might have an available copy. If a copy is unavailable through the Dealer or the DMV, then please visit www.shopfordgear.com to purchase a Compliance Letter. Drafted on Ford stationery, these letters may fulfill requirements of your state's Department of Motor Vehicles or foreign country requirements concerning a vehicle's origin if the vehicle was produced to meet U.S. Federal Safety and Emissions standards in effect at the time of manufacture.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write to us

Sincerely,

Harold

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8am and 5pm, local time, Monday through Friday. Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952.

I hope this helps!

BT

:udaman::udaman:

Holy Sh#t

You are damn good mod!!!

Thanks a lot.

The e-mail is just a little bit to much english for me.

In effect... does this e-mail mean that i can click on the link and give him my car codes and the new engine code and they wirte my a certificate of origin for it or does they only write the old origin again where i have the 351cleveland as engine?

I had a funny conversion with Ford too... First e-mail they wrote after long blah blah i have to contact the german ford...

ok after german ford they told me again after long blah blah i have to go to american ford or maybe a privat us car dealer... :dodgy: bitches...

i wrote them back that they should figure out who is the person for such a certificate.

But damn thank you a lot! ::yourock::

:salute:

With it translated to german

Liebe B. T. , Hallo, mein Name ist Harold und ich bin ein Vertreter von Ford. Ich weiß es zu schätzen, dass sie setzte sich mit unserer Abteilung und neugierige zu erhalten, wie das "Certificate of Non-objection" und "Document of Compliance". Ich bin hier, um auf ihre e-mail. Als Hersteller von neuen Kraftfahrzeugen, Ford Motor Company ist erforderlich, eine Bescheinigung des Herstellers von Ursprung, wenn ein Fahrzeug hergestellt wird.

ein Ursprungszeugnis vorgelegt wird nur einmal zu der Zeit der Herstellung. Wenn ein Kunde sucht einen Certificate of Origin, sie müssen zuerst den Besuch ihrer ursprünglichen verkaufen Händler oder ihren Staat der DMV weil sie vielleicht ein Exemplar. Wenn das Kopieren nicht verfügbar ist durch den Händler oder bei der DMV, besuchen Sie bitte http://www.shopfordgear.com zum Kauf eines Compliance Letter.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Harold Customer Relationship Center Ford Motor Company Manchmal e-mail-Kommunikation nicht erlaubt, uns zusätzliche Informationen zu gewinnen, die hilfreich sein können bei der Reaktion auf ihre Anfrage. Sollten sie das Gefühl, dass wir ihre Fragen nicht angemessen behandelt, fühlen Sie bitte frei, kontaktieren Sie uns telefonisch: (800)392-3673 zwischen den Stunden von 8am and 5pm ortszeit, Montag bis Freitag. Hörgeschädigt anrufer mit Zugang zu einem TDD kann kontakt 1-800 -232-ab 5952.

Actually NY was Super easy to register my car.

I did not even have the car and it was not road worthy.

I received the Florida Title to the car and the keys.

went to the DMV with JUST the title and bill of sale. I also had my insurance card.

The Florida Title was exchanged for a New york State title card.

They issued me plates handed me back a NY state registration and a Temporary 35 day safety inspection decal.

Car arrived 10 days later, put the plates on it, did a ton of electrical repair to it, got it to start, drove it to my local mechanic he scanned in the temp decal Bar code, looked at the car for 10 seconds with the hood down, handed me a Safety sticker, and i handed him 10$ and left.

the car was officially legal and in the system with a 2 year valid registration sticker. a week later the insurance company took pictures of it for records.

then the car was taken apart and interior fixed with electrical.

inspection came up, drove it to new gas station they scanned in the car, handed me a sticker and i left.

i didn't even have working windshield wipers or a horn at that point.

car came home sat another year as i fixed mechanical.

inspection again no problem.

Dropped engine and trans, replaced front frame rails.

got it inspected just before the year was up again, and new reg again.

never got hassled, I have more problems dealing with the ODBI and emmisions complicance on my 16 year old car.

NYS doesn't care about cars older then 25 years old. Seriously after 35 years they stop issuing official titles where you have to go to the DMV and fill out paperwork these are called non-transfer titles.

for old cars they just issue transfer titles that you could sell your car to another person by signing the back and handing the card over to the new owner and pulling the plates off.

i seriously thought it was going to be pure hell like California and it was nothing of the sort.

Yeah thats the "american dream" do what you want and nobody cares... Here in europe... it just sucks horrible...

I can only select my vin-code from the car but i can not select any engine.

Does mean this letter only works for my 351 cleveland and not an 429/460cid engine.

I asked them if it possible to change my engine on the letter for some extra donuts... and wait what they write back

and also Kevin Marti wrote me back to contact a person called speegle. He maybe can help me he said... :rolleyes:

Seriosly.. i am not the first one wich did an engine swap... but it seems nobody really know how it works legal.. even ford.com or the TUV in europe knows how it should work... man

Last edited by a moderator:
Back