Engine swap register question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndreasMustang1973Mach1

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang 1973
HI all

First. My english is very bad sorry

I come from austria - europe

I have a ford mustang 1973

and i did an engine swap from a 351c to a 460cid engine.

So here is my problem.

To register my car in austria i need an official american ford engineer witch gives me a certificate that there is no problem if i do such a swap.

I dont know if this is the correct word but the internet english dictionary called it "harmless certificate"... dont know if this is correct. :s

Does someone know the correct word and where i can ask for it?

That would be great!

I have no chance here in austria because our europe ford sucks horrible!

Thank you a lot

Regards

Andreas

Hey Andreas! "Harmless certificate"? kinda funny in deed! jeje!! I´m from South America and in here, we have different rules too... I think you have to try talking to another Austrian guy who has been there, done that to start...

The other chance i can imagine is asking in here to some supplier that may know something more about the european rules of doing that legally... There´s also a lot of active members from Europa that can help you too... Just wait till someone appear with some idea :)

If you could provide a sample of the certificate that Austria requires it would help (if it can be translated into English). Maybe someone here would have some ideas to help you out.

HI all

First. My english is very bad sorry

I come from austria - europe

I have a ford mustang 1973

and i did an engine swap from a 351c to a 460cid engine.

So here is my problem.

To register my car in austria i need an official american ford engineer witch gives me a certificate that there is no problem if i do such a swap.

I dont know if this is the correct word but the internet english dictionary called it "harmless certificate"... dont know if this is correct. :s

Does someone know the correct word and where i can ask for it?

That would be great!

I have no chance here in austria because our europe ford sucks horrible!

Thank you a lot

Regards

Andreas
Andreas,

just in case you didn't try already:

http://mustangclubgermany.superforums.org/index.php

There might even be others from Austria.

Regards, Manfred

Why report that a swap was completed?

Call it a 351C...

Hello Andreas,

Here in Hawaii, USA we call it "Reconstruction Inspection Certificate" or "Inspection Certificate" Unfortunately, you can't just ask for it. Your vehicle must go through a safety and reconstruction inspection and a certificate is issued with all the reconstruction done to the car such as engine swaps etc. and the recons meet safety standards.

1) Possibly called an Inspection Certificate

2) Cannot just ask for it.

Good Luck,

DJ

No a reconstruction cerficate is if you have a barn find car and you check the hole car.

What i was asking is just a certificate where is standing "Yes there was 1973 Mustang with a 429 engine"

to call it a 351c i have to take away the stamps and put new stamps on it... Thats plan B but not that what i want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
No a reconstruction cerficate is if you have a barn find car and you check the hole car.

What i was asking is just a certificate where is standing "Yes there was 1973 Mustang with a 429 engine"

to call it a 351c i have to take away the stamps and put new stamps on it... Thats plan B but not that what i want to do.
Maybe a 1971 sales brochure is what you're looking for.

Shows body style and engine options.

2vvt4p4.jpg

No thats also not that what i am looking for. Sorry :D

Its just a certificate from Ford where is standing that there are no problems with the car if i swap to a 429/460 cid engine. There are no tests or anything with the car...

Maybe its called clearence certificate or something like that.

Andreas,

The 429 engine was not offered in the 1973 Mustang...it was an optional engine in the 1971 Mustang.

So, if you are asking for certification that the 1973 Mustang "came stock" with a 429/460 engine, I am pretty sure that is not going to happen.

It is recognized and generally accepted that the '71 was made bigger in order to accommodate the Lima (429/460) motors but it was only offered the one year (1971). Many of us have followed thru on Ford's original intent by installing the big block Ford motors in our '72 and '73 Mustangs, although they did not originally come with that motor.

BT

How would they know it's a 351 or 429? There's no identifying marks or numbers on the engine.

Just replace the air cleaner cover if it says "429". The inspectors are used to BMWs and VWs not very old Fords. Just say: "to the best of my knowledge it's a rebuilt origional engine".

In the very very very remote chance some very old inspector reconizes the 429, just say: I didn't know!

429s are pretty rare, even in the US very few inspectors would reconnize it.

Are you sure that there are no stamps on the engine?

i didnt watched but on my cleveland i think there was some on it.

Yeah but 71-73 are the same body style. Thats why i need a ford dealer wich says. Yes the 429 can be put in the car without major work...

Are you sure that there are no stamps on the engine?

i didnt watched but on my cleveland i think there was some on it.

Yeah but 71-73 are the same body style. Thats why i need a ford dealer wich says. Yes the 429 can be put in the car without major work...
There probably is a stamp somewhere, but if it's like the 351, it's hard to see it and not very likely they would bother to look for it. Aren't they mostly interested in safety issues like brakes, rust, suspension?

Even by remote chance they found it was a 429, the most they would probably do is just make you put in a used 351 for inspection, right?

I doubt a US dealer would help or even know what your talking about, they mostly deal with selling much newer cars. Most dealer parts or service guys were probably BORN after 1973.

Andreas,

You are absolutely correct, there are ALL kinds of stamps on the block, heads, etc., that will define the motor as a 429/460. Of course, this is incumbent upon one knowing about them or having a reference document.

If you have transplanted a 429-based motor into your '71, you probably already know what is involved with the swap. Some people would consider the swap a major undertaking.

That having been said, I still am not sure as to exactly what would satisfy your "authorities." Specifically, who or what entity has to attest to what you are saying and what do they (the authorities) actually need.

BT

Hi all

Here in Australia if I want to put a bigger motor in my car

any model be it a 64 or 74 or 84 the biggest you can go

is the biggest the manufacturer fitted

you can put a 351ci into a 250ci model Ford

or a 350 ci into a 307 Chev no probs

but if I want to go the 429 route

I have to have an engineers certificate

the same works here with the pollution control specs

if I put a 2003 model 5.4 litre V8 into my 72 Mustang

I have to have the 2003 pollution set up

so all sorts of rules apply

thanks John

Never trust a dog to hold a sandwich for you

I would recommend contacting Kevin Marti at http://www.martiauto.com/. Mr. Marti is officially licensed by Ford Motor for the database of 1967 to 1979 Ford products. He may be able to help you out or give you contact information for someone who can. Here is an excerpt from his website:

"We are the privileged licensee (contract #5012) to Ford Motor Company's entire production database for the 1967-1979 model years. We can tell you everything about any Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury made in North America during 1967-1979. What color was your car? Easy. What rear axle ratio? Sure. What day was the car sold? Yeah, even that - and a whole lot more. "

Good Luck!

HI guys

Thanks for all your mails.

I think i can ask Marti if there was ever built a ford mustang 1973 with an 429 engine. But i think there wasnt.

Yes john but i dont put a new engine in my car. the engine is also built 1969.

I think the best would be is i ask a ford mustang car shop or a certicated ford workshop. I think they can give me these certificate.

Does some one know a good friendly ford mustang car shop? and give me his e-mail?

Thanks a lot

Andreas

Back