Evap Emission System

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, back to one of my earlier questions; Filling the Tank. My 69 has always vomited fuel out the back on nearly every filling. Unless you fill it with an eyedropper it spits back at you. Your 71-73s have an air space in the tank top and an internal tube in the tank running over to the fill tube, and the fill tube has a baffle running up inside that mates with the tank tube. This is part of the vapor recovery system, but I'm wondering if it helps when filling the tank- do yours spit gas back at you when filling???
Never had issues with the tank spitting back when filling on any of my 71-3s. 

This guy has a 70 evap system for sale if you wanted to go that route.

http://mustangmania.com/parts/844/

A simple test to see if you can contain the fumes would be a fully functioning closed element air cleaner with a 71-2 style charcoal canister hooked up.
Thanks for the look at those parts. I've pretty well established now that removing the carb and adding EFI (which I definitely intend to do) will eliminate the gas odor, and the tank does not need to be vented to a canister. Multiple people have confirmed that with 65-69 cars on two other forums. Tanks Inc makes a 69 EFI tank for an internal pump, but I can't find anyone who makes one for the 71-73. You have to cut a hole in it for an internal pump, and then dolly out the ridges in the top. Since I don't need the 71-73 tank to solve the venting issue, I'll go with the 69 EFI tank. The only other reason to go with the 71-73 tank is the filling issue. I have seen people resolve that with a modification to the fill tube, so I think that's the way I'll go.

You are the first to mention a "fully functioning closed element air cleaner". What is that?

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, back to one of my earlier questions; Filling the Tank. My 69 has always vomited fuel out the back on nearly every filling. Unless you fill it with an eyedropper it spits back at you. Your 71-73s have an air space in the tank top and an internal tube in the tank running over to the fill tube, and the fill tube has a baffle running up inside that mates with the tank tube. This is part of the vapor recovery system, but I'm wondering if it helps when filling the tank- do yours spit gas back at you when filling???

A simple test to see if you can contain the fumes would be a fully functioning closed element air cleaner with a 71-2 style charcoal canister hooked up.
Thanks for the look at those parts. I've pretty well established now that removing the carb and adding EFI (which I definitely intend to do) will eliminate the gas odor, and the tank does not need to be vented to a canister. Multiple people have confirmed that with 65-69 cars on two other forums. Tanks Inc makes a 69 EFI tank for an internal pump, but I can't find anyone who makes one for the 71-73. You have to cut a hole in it for an internal pump, and then dolly out the ridges in the top. Since I don't need the 71-73 tank to solve the venting issue, I'll go with the 69 EFI tank. The only other reason to go with the 71-73 tank is the filling issue. I have seen people resolve that with a modification to the fill tube, so I think that's the way I'll go.

You are the first to mention a "fully functioning closed element air cleaner". What is that?

Essentially, a stock air cleaner. 

Essentially, a stock air cleaner. 

Yes I have the big blue bucket on mine- I don't know if I'll have room for that after I add EFI and a new intake  :huh:

Back