Exhaust "Donuts"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
I got a new RH Manifold (D20Z 9430 B) for my 351C 2V.  New "Y" Pipe.  New Exhaust studs.

Problem:

There is no way the "Donut"" gaskets (p/n  EX 31503) are going on there and the stud bolts reach the flange.  The studs don't reach even without the donuts there at all.

Any advice?

Helicopter,

I do no believe you need the donuts for that type of manifold to pipe flange shown. The donuts you have will typically used when the manifold has a depression similar to the pipe. I would use a smear of red ultra heat permatex and put it together without them. Be careful that you tighten up each side a little at a time and cross back and forth until it’s snug.

Thanks, Jay.

Helicopter,

I do no believe you need the donuts for that type of manifold to pipe flange shown. The donuts you have will typically used when the manifold has a depression similar to the pipe. I would use a smear of red ultra heat permatex and put it together without them. Be careful that you tighten up each side a little at a time and cross back and forth until it’s snug.

Thanks, Jay.
Thank Jay;

I didn't think that looked right but the "donuts' were recommended with the purchase of the stud bolts.

The old girl is coming together with this restoration but I had a rough time finding a new manifold.

TNX

Roy

Roy,

To bad you had a difficult time finding a manifold, I have a good pair in stock..... Sometimes the parts houses just do not know about these and many other older cars and just assume the books are correct.

Good luck with your build.

Thanks, Jay

Correct.

I have never used a donut gasket and have never leaked,

kcmash

+1 on no donut. The Y pipe has the clamps on it, but they are not visible in your picture... correct? You may need longer studs. If I recall correctly, I started with 2" studs and they were too short and I needed 2 1/2" studs. I am going on memory, which is in my case is a bad thing to do, So I could be wrong on these lengths, but I can check in the morning.

2" too short....

2 1/2"

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct.

I have never used a donut gasket and have never leaked,

kcmash
Thanks mates,

The "Y" pipe and first exhaust pipe are on.  I was going to try to reuse the old silencer and tailpipe but it turns out they are way too far gone.

Not a problem since I had already decided to replace them, just not this early.

Roy

Back