Build Progress

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 "Q" Code Mach1
Happy New Year from Cali.
I have been working feverishly to make progress on my project 72. I need to have it running and driving by March so I can transfer title and get new license plates. In any case, progress has been made.
I want to thank all the members in 7173 mustangs for their comments. Your expertise with the Mustang models have been invaluable.
To start, my engine was originally a Q code 4 barrel with 2v heads. I installed speedmaster cast roller heads with 4v ports and chambers. I was going to try and double gasket my cast 2v exhaust manifolds but decided to buy Hooker Competition headers even though Hooker said they wouldn't fit with OEM power steering. All of the 7173 posts I read said the Hookers would not be a problem. Low and behold, the headers slid right in without a fight. It is a bit close around the steering bx but I think it will be fine. Worst that will happen is a small dent in the pipe if it hits. PXL_20240107_222245112.jpgPXL_20240107_222319890.jpgPXL_20240107_222335713.jpgPXL_20240107_222350221.jpgPXL_20240107_222430893.jpgPXL_20240107_222526305.jpgPXL_20240107_233911589.jpgPXL_20240107_233923541.jpgFrom another suggestion from a 7173 member, I built a set of wheel cribs to get the car high enough in the air to aide in the installation of the headers. What a god send these wheel cribs are.
I was surprised to find that the stock exhaust seems like it is going to line up pretty well. Once I get the header collectors, I should be able to trim and expand the stock pipes and weld the collectors on. I have overspent (as we all do) on this project, so the stock exhaust will have to do for the time being. The car actually has the original Ford branded mufflers still on it. I hope they are not totally blown out.
Looks like I am on target to get her running in the next few weeks. I am waiting for a couple of critical Z-Bar parts to finish the clutch linkage and while I wait, I will start attaching all the brackets and components onto the front of the engine. I see light at the end of the tunnel and I am so excited.
I hope you enjoy the attached pics.

Happy New Year from Cali.
I have been working feverishly to make progress on my project 72. I need to have it running and driving by March so I can transfer title and get new license plates. In any case, progress has been made.
I want to thank all the members in 7173 mustangs for their comments. Your expertise with the Mustang models have been invaluable.
To start, my engine was originally a Q code 4 barrel with 2v heads. I installed speedmaster cast roller heads with 4v ports and chambers. I was going to try and double gasket my cast 2v exhaust manifolds but decided to buy Hooker Competition headers even though Hooker said they wouldn't fit with OEM power steering. All of the 7173 posts I read said the Hookers would not be a problem. Low and behold, the headers slid right in without a fight. It is a bit close around the steering bx but I think it will be fine. Worst that will happen is a small dent in the pipe if it hits. View attachment 84635View attachment 84636View attachment 84637View attachment 84638View attachment 84639View attachment 84640View attachment 84641View attachment 84642From another suggestion from a 7173 member, I built a set of wheel cribs to get the car high enough in the air to aide in the installation of the headers. What a god send these wheel cribs are.
I was surprised to find that the stock exhaust seems like it is going to line up pretty well. Once I get the header collectors, I should be able to trim and expand the stock pipes and weld the collectors on. I have overspent (as we all do) on this project, so the stock exhaust will have to do for the time being. The car actually has the original Ford branded mufflers still on it. I hope they are not totally blown out.
Looks like I am on target to get her running in the next few weeks. I am waiting for a couple of critical Z-Bar parts to finish the clutch linkage and while I wait, I will start attaching all the brackets and components onto the front of the engine. I see light at the end of the tunnel and I am so excited.
I hope you enjoy the attached pics.
Excellent progress indeed. Any feedback on the Speedmaster heads? Chuck

Back