Exterior Paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a few different variations on some extremely nice cars. I wish there was a recognized correct template.

The main area I see in question is the distance from the leading edge of the hood to the blacked out area that follow the contour of the leading edge.

I think the following link is about the best. Anyone have different ideas?

http://photos.mustangsbymike.com/Mach-1-Hood/Mustang_Group_004

edit: here's another good link http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

Ray
Excellent, thanks! I know it wasn't on my car originally but I really like how it adds to the looks of the car.

Eddie, to be technically correct 71-72 tu-tone hoods from the factory also had twist locks and functional ram-air. Just food for thought.

Actually, you could get the two tone paint and twist locks without having the functional ram-air. If you ordered the car with a Tu-Tone paint option you got just that. My Marti report shows it for my car

Actually, you could get the two tone paint and twist locks without having the functional ram-air. If you ordered the car with a Tu-Tone paint option you got just that. My Marti report shows it for my car
+ 1

Actually, after doing some reading of what appears to be an old option brochure, mine might have had the blackout as it did come with the twist locks and functioning ram-air from factory.
Dang - that is sweet! Just like you like it! But the Marti should give the definitive story.

Ray

Actually, after doing some reading of what appears to be an old option brochure, mine might have had the blackout as it did come with the twist locks and functioning ram-air from factory.
Dang - that is sweet! Just like you like it! But the Marti should give the definitive story.

Ray
Ray, the Marti report shows the ram-air option but doesn't specify the hood black out. The brochure I saw seemed to indicate if you got ram-air you got the twist locks and black out but it's not definitive. Any way to tell for sure?

MechEng, True statement for 1973 models. You are correct because your car is a 73 and that's the only year where a car could come from the factory with a tu-tone hood and non-functional ram air. The '73s are unusual because that was the tightest year for emissions and you could only get the functional ram air on the 351c 2v cars. Little is "officially" published about the tu-tone hood and what Ford allowed out the factory doors.

Eddie's car is a '71 model. For 71 & 72 all functional ram air cars received two tone hoods and twist locks.

MechEng, True statement for 1973 models. You are correct because your car is a 73 and that's the only year where a car could come from the factory with a tu-tone hood and non-functional ram air. The '73s are unusual because that was the tightest year for emissions and you could only get the functional ram air on the 351c 2v cars. Little is "officially" published about the tu-tone hood and what Ford allowed out the factory doors.

Eddie's car is a '71 model. For 71 & 72 all functional ram air cars received two tone hoods and twist locks.
Oh! Good to know. I didn't realize the 73 was so unique in it's options when compared against the 71-72, I knew emissions wise it was a bad year, same for bumpers.

Thanks for the info!

Back