Finally got "Maria" out to the track on Friday but...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

i was at my local track not too long ago and i've been confirmed that my tires have to be wet for the line lock to work properly. well at best if i drive thru a freshly wet asphalt and punch it really hard and let go of the clutch i can stay still for a second or two at best then i start getting pushed forward.

with this, i don't know if i'm really warming up my tires or just cleaning them off. at minimum i'm barely getting any smoke off of them. i'm running summit racing 17x9's modified to 17x11's with nitto nt05r's in 315/35/17's.

heres a video of the best burn out i could get.

Last edited:
Looks like awesome hooken up to me. Car appeared to stay very straight. What was your time? I don't know what size rotors and calipers you have. But I do know those Nito's are extremely soft and with that motor you may be asking an aweful lot out of your line lock.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks more like a brake problem.

Or the line lock is bleeding through.

Does anything change if you dump the clutch and just power brake it?

If you slam on the brakes while driving will it lock up the front tires?

I can't really power brake it cuz I got rear disc! If I slammed on my brakes really hard my fronts will lock up. When I installed the line lock I had a leak still after bleeding still so I could have air again!

Looks like awesome hooken up to me. Car appeared to stay very straight. What was your time? I don't know what size rotors and calipers you have. But I do know those Nito's are extremely soft and with that motor you may be asking an aweful lot out of your line lock.
i was able to run low 13's which i'm not too happy about but now instead of playing with my own carb it sits at a carb builder hands. the guy use to be a hardcore drag racer and was more into alcohol funny cars he said.

custom calibrating should be the way to go on this carb.

Sounds like a good opportunity to go over the brake connections again. It's always amazed me how a little bubble of air can screw up hydraulics. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can't really power brake it cuz I got rear disc! If I slammed on my brakes really hard my fronts will lock up. When I installed the line lock I had a leak still after bleeding still so I could have air again!

Olie, it sound like the line lock may not be holding [ bleeding pressure off ]

If your driving and can lock up the front tires, the lline lock should keep the tires locked too.

My 73 drag car will keep the fronts locked untill the button is released, when the tires get hot it will push / slide the fronts but they will not roll.

Don

If your driving and can lock up the front tires, the lline lock should keep the tires locked too.

My 73 drag car will keep the fronts locked untill the button is released, when the tires get hot it will push / slide the fronts but they will not roll.

Don
i'm going to re bleed the brakes and ensure i don't have any minor leaks somewhere. and on other sites, they are recommending that i not only pump the brakes hard then activiating the switch but then pump it even more afterwards. see if this helps!!!!

Don
i'm going to re bleed the brakes and ensure i don't have any minor leaks somewhere. and on other sites, they are recommending that i not only pump the brakes hard then activiating the switch but then pump it even more afterwards. see if this helps!!!!
I agree with pump and push hard then hit the button

I disagree with pumping while lock is on. If the lock is working as it should no fliud witl go thru.

You are going to put some major pressure on the M/C and or line lock valve.

The line lock is a valve, it is suppose to stop / hold the fluid pressure.

If you pump and lock the brake, hit the button to activate the valve, the pressure should never change. Unless the valve is bleeding through or there is a leak between the valve and calipers.

Don
I agree with pump and push hard then hit the button

I disagree with pumping while lock is on. If the lock is working as it should no fliud witl go thru.

You are going to put some major pressure on the M/C and or line lock valve.

The line lock is a valve, it is suppose to stop / hold the fluid pressure.

If you pump and lock the brake, hit the button to activate the valve, the pressure should never change. Unless the valve is bleeding through or there is a leak between the valve and calipers.
+1 Pump, then set the line lock.Are you getting the whole tire wet? I did not notice or see you pull through the water. When I pull through the water I lightly spin the tires, to make sure they are wet,pull forward and then do my burn out,going from first to second. Release the brake and let the car pull out.

Mustang 4 (2).jpg

Don
i checked all my lines and calipers everywhere and saw no trace of a leak anywhere. i took it out for a drive and assured i can make a 60-0mph stop very quickly which is super fun :p:p:p:p. since i got great front tires, i don't hear the errrrrrrrr errrrrr, all i hear is the tires grabbing really hard and the tires dragging.

therefore, i called up summit and told them my story once again. the deal breaker was i told them i can lock up my brake on the street from 60-0mph and then i told them when i'm at the track my front tires are rolling and not getting pushed.

he automatically told me if my tires are rolling and not getting dragged, then the line lock is defective.

i received the new one and its fully installed and well bled with zero leaks (its hard sometimes to get your own double flared lines to seal with a regular hand tool you guy at the store) now i'm just awaiting my slicks to come in on tuesday and my carb later this week to hit the drag strip again this friday.

oh please have the carb builder be done with my carb by friday!!! :angel::angel::angel:

Despite the burn out issue I'm sure it was great to be back on the track!
u bet!

Last edited:
Saw a picture on MSN of the top layer of pavement laying all over the place. Figured you were testing your new line lock and hookin up like mad. :p

ss-110829-hurricane-irene-6_grid-7x2.jpg

Saw a picture on MSN of the top layer of pavement laying all over the place. Figured you were testing your new line lock and hookin up like mad. :p
LoL, that had me rolling for a while!

summitracing replaced the linelock and it now works flawlessly at the track. it held me in 1st, 2nd gear with full slicks

Back