Finished rebuilding my 3speed 1972 manual shifter today.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
Today I finished rebuilding my 3 speed 1972 manual shifter. The bare metal was painted and all moving parts were packed with Mobil1 synthetic grease. This makes it better than new.

I am using new shift rod studs and brass clutch rod bushings oh the Z bar from Auto Krafters in the rebuild . They will also ship for free if you are an Amazon Prime member.

Attachments

• 3 Speed Shifter Rebuild.jpg
    3 Speed Shifter Rebuild.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 3
Today I finished rebuilding my 3 speed 1972 manual shifter. The bare metal was painted and all moving parts were packed with Mobil1 synthetic grease. This makes it better than new.

I am using new shift rod studs and brass clutch rod bushings oh the Z bar from Auto Krafters in the rebuild . They will also ship for free if you are an Amazon Prime member.
A few final assembly notes:
  • Be careful not to lose the Detent Spring. This is the conical spring on the Selector Lever Shaft.
  • Also be sure the Flat Detent Spring is under the nut on the Selector Lever Shaft. This spring was left out in the 1971, 72 & 73 Ford Service Manuals. See the attached picture.
  • I have not been to find a new or reproduced source for either of these springs. A word of caution, they are also not always furnished with used shifters.

Attachments

• 3 Speed 1972 Shifter.jpg
    3 Speed 1972 Shifter.jpg
    867.3 KB · Views: 1
Back