FMX crossmember correct?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While searching the source of a clanking noise I disassembled the crossmember of the FMX. I suspected some clearance issues with the exhaust tube while accelerating. Long story short, it wasn't the source of the noise.
While reassembling the crossmember, I learned, that on the passenger side, the crossmember is fixed with a bolt through a tubed hole in the cross section of the body. On the driver side I found two holes but only one tubed. And surprisingly the crossmember only fits to the untubed hole on this side of the cross section.
Although I know that the original floor is still in the car, I measured the width between the floor rails and they are in specs. Next idea: maybe a wrong, too short crossmember. I ordered one from WCCC out of a donor car. After two weeks shipping I was sure, both crossmembers are identical twins. Now I'm uncertain what to look for next. Maybe everything is correct? Are there different crossmembers with different bolt pattern to match with different transmissions?
Can someone who owns a 1972 Mach1 with a H-Code 351-2V plus FMX confirm, that the crossmember is correct with the untubed hole on the driver side?
Thank you in advance
Frank20230802_fmx_crossmember.jpg

Sorry, but I am not that knowledgeable about Mustangs to be able to tell you if yours is correct, but here are a few pictures of my cross member from different angles, hopefully they help you determine if yours looks the same.

Attachments

• Mach 1 598.jpg
    Mach 1 598.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Mach 1 602.jpg
    Mach 1 602.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Mach 1 603.jpg
    Mach 1 603.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sorry, but I am not that knowledgeable about Mustangs to be able to tell you if yours is correct, but here are a few pictures of my cross member from different angles, hopefully they help you determine if yours looks the same.

Thank you very much. That helps a lot.

Today I visited a guy, half an hour drive away from my home. He own an original H-Code 72 Mach1 with FMX and I could confirm, that the crossmember on the driver side is fastened correct in the non tubed hole.
20230804_223833.jpg

Cheers Frank

Thank you very much. That helps a lot.

Today I visited a guy, half an hour drive away from my home. He own an original H-Code 72 Mach1 with FMX and I could confirm, that the crossmember on the driver side is fastened correct in the non tubed hole.
View attachment 79853

Cheers Frank
Just a note for anyone who is doing the MDL T5 swap - The modern driveline T5 crossmember used the other hole, and mine was plugged up with some dirt so I didn't even see it. I was afraid the cross member wasn't going to fit until I used a punch to clean out the closer hole.

Back