FMX Transmission casting number question?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351, FMX, A/C (well, parts of it anyways!)
1971 Mach 1, 351, FMX
1965 Convertible, 289, 4-speed
Hello All,

I have a 1971 Mach 1, 351C 2V, with FMX and according to my Marti report the car was built on 3/17/71.  Along the way someone dropped a 302 into it which I've already pulled in prep for a 71 351C 2V going back in.  

When examining the transmission I see that the last part of the vehicle VIN matches the stampings on top of the transmission but the casting number is C9ZP70006  A  which I believe indicates a 1969 date.   Did Ford carry over the FMX cases that long?

Any light on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott

Casting numbers reflect the original design date of that particular unit, which may carry for a couple of years.

Casting numbers reflect the original design date of that particular unit, which may carry for a couple of years.
Thanks for the info.  Given that information if they hadn't changed the design in a couple of years it must have been working well for them!

:thankyouyellow:

Scott

Thanks for the info.  Given that information if they hadn't changed the design in a couple of years it must have been working well for them!

:thankyouyellow:

Scott
Scott, they have changed in 1972. My 72 Mach1 has it's original VIN stamped FMX case too and the casting number is D2AP7006AB.

Cheers Frank

Here is link to the best info on casting numbers I have found. http://mustangtek.com/transmission/FordFMX.html

Should take you right to the FMX listings. There were a bunch of them as you will see when you look.

It does look like the 71 , 72  & 73 were different for the Mustang. Might have been as simple as a gasket revision or something small.

Sooo many different versions for all the different models.

David

Back