FOG Light switch location, existence

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark White

Reaction score
My Car
1971 'Executive Demo' convertible. Every option, Boss 351. All original barn find. Nice.
Hello Everyone, my first Question(s) and Thank you, Awesome site! I am looking for that 1971 Convertible 'Family Truckster' look. In keeping with the totally it could be stock look protocall, where does the fog light/Driving light switch go? I have the correct Cibie 35 "Airport" lamps, and have e-mailed the foremost experts and restoration shops throughout the country, and.....no one knows! Shoulda tried here first, this site has an excellent reputation. I have the 'standard' grill, with the corral, and have suitable brackets for the driving lights, that do not require drilling any holes. The fog lights are installed below the bumper in the existing holes provided. So... where does the relay go? Are there existing wires in the harness I can use? From what I have found out, there is a rumor the switch goes somewhere on the center console. Don't know if it is top or bottom. The switch I was sold would have the writing upside down if mounted behind the shifter. The other images are for earlier mustangs showing under dash, either below the ignition switch, or below the head light switch. Did 71 come with Fog/Driving light options? I have seen them on the Euro shelby's, but no interior pictures that I can find. Thanks! Mark

To help clarify your question -

You mentioned "totally stock" look. So in that light (lol) - there are no correct fog lights that are original equipment for the 71-3 Mustangs.

Ford did offer accessory fog lights but they would have been added post-production and the switches were usually mounted under the dash.

If you want to run fog lights and want to try and conceal the location of the switch, inside the center console would be hidden enough.

I hope this helps.

Ray

You mentioned "totally stock" look. So in that light (lol) - there are no correct fog lights that are original equipment for the 71-3 Mustangs.

Ford did offer accessory fog lights but they would have been added post-production and the switches were usually mounted under the dash.

If you want to run fog lights and want to try and conceal the location of the switch, inside the center console would be hidden enough.

I hope this helps.

Ray
Hello Ray, Thank you, you have solved the mystery of no information available. I am going for a 'L' bracket under the dash, with two switches, on the right of the column, using an existing mounting hole. Man, that was good, and FAST response! Very much appreciated, Have a Happy Holidays! Respectfully, Mark

I hope this helps.

Ray
Just got it "in that light". Pretty good, Ray. I am the kid at near the top 10 list in OKC in the 70's running the 427 side oiler in the 1964 Devin, the good old days.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope this helps.

Ray
Hello Ray, Thank you, you have solved the mystery of no information available. I am going for a 'L' bracket under the dash, with two switches, on the right of the column, using an existing mounting hole. Man, that was good, and FAST response! Very much appreciated, Have a Happy Holidays! Respectfully, Mark

I hope this helps.

Ray
Just got it "in that light". Pretty good, Ray. I am the kid at near the top 10 list in OKC in the 70's running the 427 side oiler in the 1964 Devin, the good old days.
Cool Mark! Post up some pictures of that Devin in a new thread . :D

Ray

I hope this helps.

Ray

I hope this helps.

Ray

Ray
Thanks again, Ray, you have me looking in the way back, I only found one picture so far, when I first bought it home, with my younger brother steering it. The other is my old 69 sportroof, in 1974, in North west Okc. Thanks again! Mark. Oh I also stuck a more current pic of my Manta! Off subject, I know....

Ray
Thanks again, Ray, you have me looking in the way back, I only found one picture so far, when I first bought it home, with my younger brother steering it. The other is my old 69 sportroof, in 1974, in North west Okc. Thanks again! Mark. Oh I also stuck a more current pic of my Manta! Off subject, I know....

Ray

Ray
manta.tif

devin.tif

69 sportsroof.tif

Attachments

• manta.tif
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • devin.tif
    864.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 69 sportsroof.tif
    836.9 KB · Views: 18
Hi Mark,

Sounds like you have decided to choose a position you like for your switches, however, have a look at what i ended up doing for my driving lights and switch setup on my '73 Vert. I also placed the relay block on the front face of the radiator support panel , left hand side(passengers side)

Reference .................

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-electrical-and-trim-upgrades

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Hi Mark,

Sounds like you have decided to choose a position you like for your switches, however, have a look at what i ended up doing for my driving lights and switch setup on my '73 Vert. I also placed the relay block on the front face of the radiator support panel , left hand side(passengers side)

Cheers,

WOW! Really nice! I have a light there for 'Belts', so, I used some aluminum angle, increased the angle some, and am in the process of installing, now. One switch is in, the second for the driving lights is coming in the mail. 'Fog Lights" will be fog lamp switch. "Sport Lights" switch will turn on and off the Driving lights. Man, your car is very NICE! I see you also have the original floor mats. Sweet!,
My Best Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Cheers,

WOW! Really nice! I have a light there for 'Belts', so, I used some aluminum angle, increased the angle some, and am in the process of installing, now. One switch is in, the second for the driving lights is coming in the mail. 'Fog Lights" will be fog lamp switch. "Sport Lights" switch will turn on and off the Driving lights. Man, your car is very NICE! I see you also have the original floor mats. Sweet!,
My Best Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Cheers,

My Best Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Cheers,

My Best Regards,

Mark
Before you ask, a quick pic of my 71, Thanks for the info, Man, yours is looking good!, MarkfogswB.JPG

fogswitch.JPG

71.JPG

Hey Mark,

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you like what i've done.

Would you believe the floor mats are not original, but were purchased from an Australian auto outlet company.

Thanks for your pics. I like what you have decided to do with your setup, and i think that will work very well for you. Also, your Vert is looking very cool as well. I like your mods with the roll over bar and rear tail light treatment as well.

Back