For all of us 460 guys

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of those upgrades I'll be doing at some point. Not in the near future though. It's good that it appears our choices are expanding. There is very little in the way of performance parts for BBF's compared to the 302's and the chevy 350's.

Oh man!!!!! Those are SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT! I am sooo going to look at those headers when I build my 521. Thank you for posting those. My wife thanks you too.....in Peggy Bundy's voice...Thank XOLIEX kids. Thanks XOLIEX!

Chris

Keeep in mind these pipes only have 1 3/4' - primary tubes, with a 3' collector.. The same size pipes you would use on a well built 351C 4V.

Here's a link to a basic list/guide on whats needed to buid a 460 from 275hp up to 800 odd HP, makes for interesting reading...

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119213

Last edited by a moderator:
fpa claims that on a 600hp build you will only lose 10hp but gain 10tq. the mad porter on 460 ford forum, he had his stuff dyno'd with those smaller tube headers on his scj-a 460 and he only lost 2hp with the smaller tubes but gained 10tq.

i guess if you are going to build a 750hp motor, then it'll make a difference but i think 600hp is more than enough to boot us around. hell, i bet a 600hp motor is good enough to a 10.8-11.2 qtr mile in our cars.

Pegasus makes a GREAT point relative to the size of the "new" headers. I guess one should also consider the price when comparing them with the Hooker's and the FPA's. I see that Jegs is now carrying (or will be carrying) a couple version of the Hedman Hustlers for the BBF applications.

It is very nice to know that "Others" are looking at providing (hopefully) better fitting pipes for our different applications. Many of the really "Hard Core" people actually build their own to suit their applications.

Good post, Olie!

BT

Pegasus makes a GREAT point relative to the size of the "new" headers. I guess one should also consider the price when comparing them with the Hooker's and the FPA's. I see that Jegs is now carrying (or will be carrying) a couple version of the Hedman Hustlers for the BBF applications.

It is very nice to know that "Others" are looking at providing (hopefully) better fitting pipes for our difference applications. Many of the really "Hard Core" people actually build their own to suit their applications.

Good post, Olie!

rep me then?:p

BT

6 bills is alot of cash for a set of long tubes that will be flat on the bottom just like every other pair of headers and still not fit quite right with a stick I will still be building my own set of shorties for my 460 guarranted to fit with the stick and never ground out:D

Not meaning to hijack, but I hope this helps to condense options for shoppers.

Header suppliers for '71-73 w/ 429-460's:

http://critesperformanceparts.com/

Full length, 2" tube, 3.5" collector.

$369

Ford Powertrain Applications - FPA

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/headers1.htm

Shorty, bare finish is standard.

$600-ish and up

Hooker #6115

Long tubes, multi tube slip fit, 1-7/8" tube, 3.5" collector.

$510+ and up

Hedman #85200

Long tube, 1-7/8" tube, 3" collector

$600-up

Mad Dog Headers #8008

http://www.maddogheaders.net/Catalog.html

2" tube, 3.5" collector

Long tube, uses a crossover tube under oil pan for each bank.

$400

I feel that most supplier info is very weak, as in not listing pictures or head style designations (Standard Thunderjet, CJ/SCJ, etc.) Most all have coating potions in addition to the tube cost.

I'm really with Rustang on the BB header issue here. Especially in PA, fitment and clearance is key when driving our semi improved, sad sack of a highway "system" (aka "detonated mine field" in other states).

For that kind of jack that they command, I want my headers to be darned near excuse free.

fpa is the only one that you will not have any header clearance issues but they are smaller tubes. when i looked at his website when i first got into the 460, it was 400 for his headers. when i bought they were 585, so i guess now they are 600. not to mention that guy is a PITA to deal with and from others who concur.

i might be going to a scj-a head stroker so i will be selling my old 460 with the headers. the motor is in the machine shop getting freshened up and with a mechanical cam so who ever buys it will have rebuild receipts and build specs.

Back