Ford 9 Inch Ring and Pinion Gears

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

I am looking into buying a 9 inch ring and pinion gear set, 3.55 or 3.60. I have seen all kinds of reviews and forums talking about Richmond gear, Yukon, Motive, USA Standard gear sets. I have also seen price swings of approx. $100.

Yukon and Richmond approx $265.00

USA Standard $165.00 Do not use if car is to be quiet.

So, I am asking for feed back on what you folks are using. Let the recommendations begin.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Yukons in my '80 Jeep CJ-7 - can't say anything bad about 'em, either. They went right in, the installation kit was top-notch, and no noises or issues to speak of. Had 'em for over 10 years, although very low miles since I don't drive the Jeep much anymore.

Of course, they're 4.10's in stock AMC Widetrac axles running 33x15.50 Super Swampers with Detroit lockers and hardened axles. The thing is a beast and will go anywhere... as long as there's a gas station within 50 miles.

I've heard lots of good things about Richmond gears from my buddies who 'wheel the crap out of they Jeeps and nobody I know has ever actually broken an R&P set... usually, it's the axles that give up first.

Hope that helps.

I have had quite a few differential professionals tell me that the original Ford gears were the best gears ever made, if you can find nos parts. I had motive swapped in for 3.25's. they made noise. And they were set up by the guy in San Bernardino who supposed to be one of the best in the business. Bill Thomas is the name.

Spend the extra $$$ for the Richmonds or something other well known name that is made in USA.

Watch some out because some well known brands have an imported line also.

I went through this with my Model A and do not care to repeat.

Thanks. Jay

I just sold a set of Ford Racing 3.50 gears to a guy who had installed a set of Motive, he said they were very noisy which is why he bought mine.

I used yukons for my 3:89s. The guy that did them said that Yukon specializes in off road 4x4, and if they last long in crawler they'll last long in pretty much anything. I also heard some good things about Richmond

Back