Cloth or vinyl Convertible Top?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
After 5 years, Stang is almost finished. I am about to buy a top with glass window. I will keep the Stang undercover when it's finished. Would like your opinions.
What looks better? Cloth or Vinyl?
What lasts longer? Cloth or Vinyl?

Attachments

• Topp.jpg
    Topp.jpg
    340.6 KB
That's a good question. Can we assume you are going with black?
Is cloth available?
I think cloth would be a bit less shiny but harder to clean?
How often will you be putting the top down? It's the wear points that would concern me with cloth.

That's a good question. Can we assume you are going with black?
Is cloth available?
I think cloth would be a bit less shiny but harder to clean?
How often will you be putting the top down? It's the wear points that would concern me with cloth.
Yes, Black. It is $300 more expensive than vinyl. Plan on using top quite a bit.

I don't like to hijack a tread but I've got question about tops also.

So my vert top is probably close to the original. It now has a couple of tears along the trunk edge and a 3 inch rip in the middle. I've been meaning to replace but finding somebody has been an issue. So mine appear to a be combination of canvas , maybe vinyl. It's an extremely dense material layer construction.

Do the new tops have the same construction? I believe when I had it replaced shortly aftering getting the car due to vandalism it was just a few years old. Are these replacements similar?

The prior owner saved our 73 Convertible from a 46 year long slumber as a barn find. The original tires were replaced due to sidewall cracks (I would have replaced them anyway, E78 x 14 - now E70 x 14), and a set of Magnum 500 wheels insteaad of the original steel wheels. He also replaced the original white top wqith a black canve looking material, which has bee holding uo nicely, We have no ters or other damage other than one small area where the canvas is rubbing the surrounding area where the top is set down inside the area the top is folded into when put down. I am keeping an eye on that were spot. It has not been wearing any larger noticeably since we purchased it, and the trheading where it has worn has not begun to fray or tear. I figure once it does begin to fray I will have it replaced with the same kind of material. The vert is parked a way from our location at the moment otherwise I would provide closeup photos of the fabric to include the wear spot. It is a nice looking True Survivor in really quite excellent preserved condition, with only nearly 21,000 original miles on it - even with its demure appearance as there is nothing fancy adorning it..

Attachments

• IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4852.jpg
    5.7 MB
I feel really like a maroon now; I was under the impression that all Convertible tops were cloth. I've never seen vinyl, ever. The understanding was Vinyl tops on cars were made to mimic a convertible just like those old landau bars were to mimic carriage tops. Huh? Learned something new today.
Never even dawned on me to google a vinyl top. Doohhh!!!!

Back