Frame clean up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed
1973 Chevelle 454 SS
2005 Magnum RT
2008 Colorado
I recall some discussion about removing undercoating before sanding the frame but I couldn't find it. So heres a new thread we can archive but I know I don't want to waste sanding disks on this stuff. Any recommendations of what works well and what doesn't would be helpfull.

I recall that thread too. I tried a few different solvents based on the suggestions and it probably depends on what undercoating was used but the best solution I found for the the spray undercoating that a previous owner had coated on the underside of the hood was plain old varsol/ paint thinner with a few scotchbrite pads.

You can see the difference in the attached pic. Dull black is the thick coat of spray-can undercoat and the shiny black is rustpaint from another P/O quick fix.

IMG_1317.jpg

Thanks Roy. I'm chomping at the bit to get on this. You should have seen my neighbors when we pulled up with another Mustang on a trailer and it "disappeared" as one of them put it into the garage. I think they think I'm a half a bubble off! :p

Thanks Roy. I'm chomping at the bit to get on this. You should have seen my neighbors when we pulled up with another Mustang on a trailer and it "disappeared" as one of them put it into the garage. I think they think I'm a half a bubble off! :p
Good luck we spent a week or so on the bottom/wheel weels of mine, but looks nice when you are done.

This stuff is about an 1/8 of inch thick. Scraper first then thinner maybe?
Heat gun & assorted putty knifes for the bulk of it then hit home depot & pickup motsenbocker's "lift off" paint & varnish remover" it's a water base stripper that works great check out my videos (tail lamp resto) on you tube (links are in my videos on the site) where I'm using it to strip my tail light housings... You can thank me now if like :p

This stuff is about an 1/8 of inch thick. Scraper first then thinner maybe?
Heat gun & assorted putty knifes for the bulk of it then hit home depot & pickup motsenbocker's "lift off" paint & varnish remover" it's a water base stripper that works great check out my videos (tail lamp resto) on you tube (links are in my videos on the site) where I'm using it to strip my tail light housings... You can thank me now if like :p
I dunno about Markmel, but...thanks Scott! You're gonna save me a ton of heartache.

I got the same reaction from some of the neighbors on our last "acquisitions"... usually goes like "where did this come from" HA!

Scott,

Video in your home page or on the sight video collection? Don't have a heat gun but do have an adjustable torch I can heat it up with. Appreciate it. Uh, wait :udaman:

Between the putty knives, wire wheels and thinner I already have in the garage I intend to do some serious cleaning tomorrow. Thanks guys! ::yourock::

Scott,

Video in your home page or on the sight video collection? Don't have a heat gun but do have an adjustable torch I can heat it up with. Appreciate it. Uh, wait :udaman:

Between the putty knives, wire wheels and thinner I already have in the garage I intend to do some serious cleaning tomorrow. Thanks guys! ::yourock::
MM here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzenut#p/u/5/6PgrdxLGS20

Lot's of vids for your viewing pleasure :D

I got the same reaction from some of the neighbors on our last "acquisitions"... usually goes like "where did this come from" HA!
Yes, yes - been there and know the look the neighbors give.

Back