KYB Excel G vs Gas-a-just front shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1, Q code, 4 speed, fully optioned
I bought a set of Excel G's for my 73 Mach 1 to replace the Gas-a-Just's that have been it it for a couple decades or more. When I removed the Gas-a-just on the right front I noticed it was about 1 1/2" shorter in overall length with the rod fully extended than the new Excel G. I installed the Excel G and when I lowered the support holding the lower control arm, spindle and upper "A" arm assembly up, that assembly traveled/pivoted much further downward and stopped when the upper "A" arm came to rest on the car frame. With the Gas-a-Just, the shock would run out of travel before the "A" arm could contact the frame. I checked the KYB web site and the Excel G I have is the part number they list for 71-73 Mustangs and that part number is stamped on the shock body. Anybody experience this? It requires the front of the car to jacked much higher to remove the wheels/ tires. The "A" arm being able to contact the frame doesn't seam right and that concerns me. I don't recall if the original factory hydraulic shocks let the "A" arm contact the frame but I doubt they did.

I bought a set of Excel G's for my 73 Mach 1 to replace the Gas-a-Just's that have been it it for a couple decades or more. When I removed the Gas-a-just on the right front I noticed it was about 1 1/2" shorter in overall length with the rod fully extended than the new Excel G. I installed the Excel G and when I lowered the support holding the lower control arm, spindle and upper "A" arm assembly up, that assembly traveled/pivoted much further downward and stopped when the upper "A" arm came to rest on the car frame. With the Gas-a-Just, the shock would run out of travel before the "A" arm could contact the frame. I checked the KYB web site and the Excel G I have is the part number they list for 71-73 Mustangs and that part number is stamped on the shock body. Anybody experience this? It requires the front of the car to jacked much higher to remove the wheels/ tires. The "A" arm being able to contact the frame doesn't seam right and that concerns me. I don't recall if the original factory hydraulic shocks let the "A" arm contact the frame but I doubt they did.
I did the same thing switched out Gas-a-Just for Excel-G's. If I remember, they are a bit longer, but I've had no problems once they were in. I do like them much better, not as harsh and handle well.

Good idea for when jacking the car to remove a wheel. Would prevent the extra travel from letting the "A" arm contact the frame. Any issues with the extra downward travel available when driving? Am concerned the extra travel could result in the "A" arm smashing into the frame damaging one or both.

Back