Front Bushing damage when lifting car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that everyone wants to blame the rubber. But if you go back and look in any Ford service manual from 1965 up they all tell you on the first page to block the control arms or you damage the bushings. Not us making it up Ford put it in the service manual for a  reason. 

A coil springs has thousands of lbs. of stored energy the bushing on the shock is only resisting the charge in the shock and the valving. 

As far as two post 4 post. If you lift on a 4 post you still have to jack the front so does the same thing. 

I will scan the Ford manual today and send on this link. It is part of the normal service on a Mustang, Maverick, Granada and others that use similar front suspension. 

I had just put brand new ones on and forgot to block and busted one the first time I lifted it and they were NOS originals not Chinese.

I saw someone also say they jacked under the front end. You should never jack a mustang up by the front cross member or under the engine. You can and will bend the chassis not designed to take the loads in that direction. You can jack under the lower control arm the little u brackets welded to the bottom are for jacking there. The torque box is other lift area and of course the front mount on the rear spring. 

It is all physics equal and opposite reaction. When new people would sometimes crack windshields lifting incorrectly. These are very weak chassis and with rust even weaker.
I believe it is also safe to jack the front up using the crossmember under the transmission. Thats what i have used, anyway, and not noticed any body flex.

I have a totally rust free California car and it bends picking it up the way that Ford says. I just think it is odd that soo many think Ford was stupid and everyone else knows better, lol. Will just keep the front end shops busy or tires wearing crooked. 

When picking up as Ford says I be the door opening changes 1/4" and this car is totally rust free never painted so nothing hidden. 

A decent HP engine can buckle the quarter panels on one. I use to watch Jack Roush in the 70's in his drag car with roll cage and it was amazing how it buckled up, was a Maverick. You cannot stop physics it wins every time.

I know that everyone wants to blame the rubber. But if you go back and look in any Ford service manual from 1965 up they all tell you on the first page to block the control arms or you damage the bushings. Not us making it up Ford put it in the service manual for a  reason. 

A coil springs has thousands of lbs. of stored energy the bushing on the shock is only resisting the charge in the shock and the valving. 

As far as two post 4 post. If you lift on a 4 post you still have to jack the front so does the same thing. 

I will scan the Ford manual today and send on this link. It is part of the normal service on a Mustang, Maverick, Granada and others that use similar front suspension. 

I had just put brand new ones on and forgot to block and busted one the first time I lifted it and they were NOS originals not Chinese.

I saw someone also say they jacked under the front end. You should never jack a mustang up by the front cross member or under the engine. You can and will bend the chassis not designed to take the loads in that direction. You can jack under the lower control arm the little u brackets welded to the bottom are for jacking there. The torque box is other lift area and of course the front mount on the rear spring. 

It is all physics equal and opposite reaction. When new people would sometimes crack windshields lifting incorrectly. These are very weak chassis and with rust even weaker.
I believe it is also safe to jack the front up using the crossmember under the transmission. Thats what i have used, anyway, and not noticed any body flex.
I would not do this on a convertible. All the weight putting stress on the vert roof frame J hooks and the top of the windshield frame. Could snap a J hook or crack the windshield. Don't attempt doing it with the roof down.... You put all the stress on the inner and outer rockers. If you try it just watch how much the top of the door gap opens up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back