Front crossmember

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hey,

I got back to the car recently and have a problem. The front cross member that the strut rods thread through seems to have been hit at one time. Last year when the car had an alignment the mechanic said they went all the way on the camber with the threads on the passenger side and did the best they could.

Didn't comprehend at the time. I noticed the strut rod on that side was bent upwards slightly so it would make sense that the cross member threads could be less on this side. I'm afraid if I put a new rod on the control arm on that side it will be worse because there will be even less threads due to it being straight. Not sure what to make of this problem and of course noticed that they don't make this piece for the 72. Big surprise. Check out the pics and let me know what you think the approach should be. You can see the dent in the center of the cross member. Should I try and replace? How do I get one?

Thanks,

D. Rolls

Hey,

I got back to the car recently and have a problem. The front cross member that the strut rods thread through seems to have been hit at one time. Last year when the car had an alignment the mechanic said they went all the way on the camber with the threads on the passenger side and did the best they could.

Didn't comprehend at the time. I noticed the strut rod on that side was bent upwards slightly so it would make sense that the cross member threads could be less on this side. I'm afraid if I put a new rod on the control arm on that side it will be worse because there will be even less threads due to it being straight. Not sure what to make of this problem and of course noticed that they don't make this piece for the 72. Big surprise. Check out the pics and let me know what you think the approach should be. You can see the dent in the center of the cross member. Should I try and replace? How do I get one?

Thanks,

D. Rolls
Check out the rod on the left and see how much of the rod is protruding through the cross member vs. the one on the right.

2011-12-27_21-35-45_734.jpg

2011-12-27_21-36-56_241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D,

Thats a hard repair for a amateur without the right tools..Don't get me wrong it can be repaired. But for you it's going to be easier to replace it. Having it in a body shop up on a frame machine I could do that repair in like 2-3 hours. plus set up on the machine. Somewhere around 350-400 rough idea. The way to approach it is to make a weldable pulling clamp that you tack weld onto the front starting at the area of LEAST damage..heating up the cross pulling then hammering to stress relive the metal..Then working your way in to the area of most damage. Call Don at oms to see if he has a cross ..or try member thundertc64 he just cut up a car he may have it ! 2 big things when you replace..Wrap a tie strap around both rails & tighten it up to make sure they are tight on the sides to the cross..& make sure it's square to the cross member that sits under the engine. Make sure to measure from somewhere on the rail to the side where the cross is welded to the frame rail BEFORE you cut it off ! This way you know where to place it..Also you better be a good welder since that is a major structural part !! Maybe it's just easier to find a shop to repair it ?

D,

Thats a hard repair for a amateur without the right tools..Don't get me wrong it can be repaired. But for you it's going to be easier to replace it. Having it in a body shop up on a frame machine I could do that repair in like 2-3 hours. plus set up on the machine. Somewhere around 350-400 rough idea. The way to approach it is to make a weldable pulling clamp that you tack weld onto the front starting at the area of LEAST damage..heating up the cross pulling then hammering to stress relive the metal..Then working your way in to the area of most damage. Call Don at oms to see if he has a cross ..or try member thundertc64 he just cut up a car he may have it ! 2 big things when you replace..Wrap a tie strap around both rails & tighten it up to make sure they are tight on the sides to the cross..& make sure it's square to the cross member that sits under the engine. Make sure to measure from somewhere on the rail to the side where the cross is welded to the frame rail BEFORE you cut it off ! This way you know where to place it..Also you better be a good welder since that is a major structural part !! Maybe it's just easier to find a shop to repair it ?
+1 on take it to a shop to have it straightened or replaced. Having a restored car that can't be aligned properly is a disaster. Chuck

I have somewehat the same issue. Mine is ok as far as alignment but it looks pretty bad and is dented up. Same with my crossmember under the motor. Looks like someone did a dukes of hazzard style jump with my car and tweaked this stuff up. I plan on re painting my car in a few years and when i do that i will probably fix those 2 items. I dont believe there are any alignment issues with mine but mostly cosmetic but bent up bad. I have about 6000 miles on my front tires and they are wearing fine and the car doesnt pull. My plan was to brace everything with temporary weld in braces so nothing moves then carefully cut out the crossmembers one at a time. Fixing each one before moving to the next.

Alot of spot welds to get at and needs to be put back in perfectly. Would definately be a big job. I think the front one would be easier than the motor crossmember. If you can find a good one from a parts car and have it cut out at the frame, then you can take your time on the bench and get all the spot welds off and clean it up good before installing it.

Kevin

I had a Rust/Rot problem...Plus the Other crossmember was used to remove a Stump at some point in time...I was able to find a good used one from a Torino (or Cougar) and Replace it....The Other Crossmember I had to Take Apart and Straighten and weld back togather....

03-31-11_1535.jpg

04-01-11_1401.jpg

I had a Rust/Rot problem...Plus the Other crossmember was used to remove a Stump at some point in time...I was able to find a good used one from a Torino (or Cougar) and Replace it....The Other Crossmember I had to Take Apart and Straighten and weld back togather....
Thanks for the help. I'm leaning towards replacing it but not sure where I can find one. I was thinking about getting a replacement and lining it up myself and tack it in place with a MIG and then have someone properly weld it in place. There's a few guys that are mobile in town that could do it. Does that sound like a decent plan?

Anyone know of a replacement part please contact me.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the help. I'm leaning towards replacing it but not sure where I can find one. I was thinking about getting a replacement and lining it up myself and tack it in place with a MIG and then have someone properly weld it in place. There's a few guys that are mobile in town that could do it. Does that sound like a decent plan?

Thanks for your help.
That sounds good D..did you call Don at Ohio mustang supply ? I bet he has one.

Check with Don like "Q" suggested, If he doesn't have one this place may have one. I purchased an entire clip from them and was pleased with condition and delivered price. http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com ,hope it helps. btw some cougar parts interchange with mustangs.

Thanks for your help.
I sent him a message. If I don't her from him I will call...Thanks

Check with Don like "Q" suggested, If he doesn't have one this place may have one. I purchased an entire clip from them and was pleased with condition and delivered price. http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com ,hope it helps. btw some cougar parts interchange with mustangs.
I'll check it out thanks for the info

Thanks for your help.
Hey Scott,

Would it be a possibility to take off the original crossmember and bring it to a shop to straighten it out. Can this be done effectively off of the car?

Thanks for your help.
Hey Scott,

Would it be a possibility to take off the original crossmember and bring it to a shop to straighten it out. Can this be done effectively off of the car?
D..I need to see some better pics of it head on from the front & rear..There's a lot of spot welds to drill out..If your going to seperate it..I would leave the rear part on the car..It was seperated you might have a better chance of doing it yourself..I know for sure you could do the front half.

Back