Front Koni Shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markafss

Reaction score
My Car
73 Q code Mach 1, C6, original owner
Has anyone mounted the Koni 82-1388sp3 (64-70) front shocks on your 71-73 by changing the top shock mounts to the older style? If so, are there any downsides to doing so? I think the 71-73 had more suspension travel. Looking forward to your comments.

I ran the Koni reds on my Boss 302. The only down side is you have to remove the shock from the car to adjust them. Once you get them on the setting you like, though, they are great shocks. I'd recommend starting on the softest setting and adjusting in steps firmer to get where you like them. Many just keep them on the softest setting.

I ran the Koni reds on my Boss 302. The only down side is you have to remove the shock from the car to adjust them. Once you get them on the setting you like, though, they are great shocks. I'd recommend starting on the softest setting and adjusting in steps firmer to get where you like them. Many just keep them on the softest setting.
Thanks for responding. I ran my Konis up front since 1973, but they froze up after sitting in the garage for 37+ years. Those are available any longer, so I’m wondering if anyone is using the 64-70 Part numbered Koni’s on the front of a 71-73 without any problems. This of course after replacing the upper shock mount with the older style like your Boss had.

Thanks for responding. I ran my Konis up front since 1973, but they froze up after sitting in the garage for 37+ years. Those are available any longer, so I’m wondering if anyone is using the 64-70 Part numbered Koni’s on the front of a 71-73 without any problems. This of course after replacing the upper shock mount with the older style like your Boss had.
I'm running the Koni STR-T shocks for a 70 Mustang on my '72 with the 67-70 style shock tower caps. No problems and plenty of travel without bottoming or overextending the shocks.
You may want to check with Koni. They may be able to rebuild your old shocks. It'd be worth it.

Back