Gas Monkey aquired a 72 Convertible!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i also like counting cars, now i have heard the setups on the show are fake as far as how they find the cars and the deals they make.

for example there was a couple that came to buy a finished truck from counts customs and it was suppose to be a truck that danny found earlier on the show.

turns out the couple owned the truck all along but count's customs did do the work on the truck. the couple paid for the work which was the final price of the truck they supposedly negotiated at the end but it was their truck the entire time.

all that aside the work on the truck looked amazing. and they really do restore everything or only what the people tell them to do.

fake or not on chumlee's Lincoln they showed a major problem with the primer and they went back to bare metal and rebody worked the car so they do care.

they do show a lot of lost profit on cars and i think the tv show makes up the loss in revenue for them.

On a show like overhauling well i read about bad things, and i read about how the show had to change after a few seasons.

there is suppose to be a rumored unaired episode where one guy was not happy that his car was taken and wasn't keen on the final work that was done to the car and there was some kind of settlement .

if you noticed the last seasons of the show they no longer "stole" the car, they started to do what mtv used to do for setups and have the people wait at a house then show up and announce their car will be on overhaulin.

basically my peeve with overhauling is the 1 week dead line, and the fact they would tear up matching number cars and just do whatever with them.

yes chip said "we don't do restorations" but still some of the stuff they did on that show would piss me right off it it happened on my Piece of poop car.

What i read was after the show ends the people did not get there cars back right away. First the cars had to be re-gone through again to solve tuning and mistakes. then the car had to go on tour with the promotion for the show for 6 months. that isn't to say they did work on the cars and do amazing amounts of work. however it really messed up the restoration industry because now a customer comes in and expects a car that would take a year to restore, should be done in 1 week.

now when the people got the cars back, many discovered their insurance went way up, and they owned taxes. a few people also lost interest in their cars after they got them back and then sold them.

its a big traumatic event somebody has an original car in the family for 30+ years then one day they think it gets stolen, somebody takes it based on the word of somebody else and then it is customized and repainted, then the owner is told hey here is your car your in front of cameras freaking out and of course your going to say how awesome the car looks.

a year later its parked in your garage and everything you hate about it just makes you want to get rid of it.

you know your looking at the shaved door handles and you go man i wish they kept the door handles.

or yeah this 600HP chevy ZR1 engine is fine but its not my chevy 440 big block that me and my dad worked on 40 years ago.

I have read the same stories about Overhaulin, but Foose does do great Custom work.

I agree if I had a car that was in the Family for 40+ years all matching numbers, I want it restored will all of the original matching numbers parts.

now if I had a car that was a mix-up of parts, with no sentimental value to it, then have fun and custom away!!.

I have read the same stories about Overhaulin, but Foose does do great Custom work.

I agree if I had a car that was in the Family for 40+ years all matching numbers, I want it restored will all of the original matching numbers parts.

now if I had a car that was a mix-up of parts, with no sentimental value to it, then have fun and custom away!!.
+1 to that...I would let old chip foose hall off my car if he did her right and everyone new what i wanted...All original and such.

But some of my other cars like my mustang 2 ...I would let him go to town..Anything he wanted to do to that car....And sence he touched it ..The car would always be worth more than most..Just cause it was on a popular tv show...Im sure he would make a kick arse custom out of it that would bring a penny if i did not like it..hehe

I heard some of the stories...but some of the cars he got really needed the help or more, and i like the idea behind it...Sure he making his money..But he also making some people's dreams come true...And better than some of the car shows like builder wars or Gas Monkey or whatever that only do if for them selves.

I just saw him yesterday take a hammer and beat a finished body panel in place. Would have been a good idea to prefit the piece before it was painted. He is one heck of a great artist, and seems like he would be a great guy to know personally

I am just grateful there are shows with people wrenching on old cars and watch most of them. Good to see some 71-73's in the spotlight lately.

I love watching them for the ideas and products that might otherwise be missed. I can't count the number of times I have heard about specialty parts or services that I only found out about because they made it on one of the shows. That and some of the custom dieas are easily twisted for my own use.

Generally though I consider all of them rigged or staged. Reality TV for the car guy more or less......

Last edited by a moderator:
...Generally though I consider all of them rigged or staged. Reality TV for the car guy more or less......
I agree but I watch them for the entertainment value. It would be pretty boring watching a real automotive garage fixing up cars. They always seem to find these cars that haven't been started in years, without changing the fluids or anything they toss a battery on it and start cranking. If it starts "Fast and Loud" Richard will say "the engine is fine" they slap the oversized wheels and tires on it, some lip stick, maybe change the rusted out muffler system, and call it ready for the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gas Monkey 72 Mustang convertible is on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-Converble-1972-ford-mustang-convertible-302-v-8-auto-offered-by-gas-monkey-garage-/290967239299?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43beffba83&vxp=mtr

I check the www every couple of days for 71 or 72 verts... on my quest to get one... it's gotta be a stick. Just looked at one west of Boston... 3 speed H code 1971, no power steering, 4 way manual drums, lots of documentation, but not worth the 13K he would come down from original price of 14,900... bubbly paint... would need a complete strip, new metal & repaint... offered him 9K. No sale.

Got cash for the right car!!!

For that much money, they could at least get a new dash pad!
OR

a drivers door 4.00 window crank knob

OR

a 150.00 set of stainless steel trim for the door panels

OR

a 40.00 set of front bumper to body rubber fillers

OR

there is a bunch more OR's

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Back