Gauge lighting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little update: I finally got the empty 194 bases.

CIMG0076.jpg

CIMG0074.jpg

CIMG0079.jpg

CIMG0077.jpg

CIMG0082.jpg

Sorry for the crappy camera phone pics.

I am curious, why do you have to have new bases and there are about 15 bulbs in the instrument cluster, do you get them all? Do our cars produce the blue light if we go to LEDS or do we have to do something to make them do that? As you can see, mine are so faint I do not think I ever saw a color. I have the cluster out right now cleaning up wires.

I've heard taking the diffusers off helps with brightness. The way I did it with the LED strips I only need 3 of those twist lock bases in the main cluster. I got those empty bases so I can just plug them into the twist locks to get the power from the original locations.

Thanks Totaled. I called them yesterday and got tons of info on what I wanted. I then found the replacement LED bulbs for the map light and the overhead light. I will include that source once I have made sure that they work.

It's really easy to do and fairly cheap. A word of advise is to clean the surface you're sticking the led strip on really good, because when I first did it, the temp gauge strip peeled a little and so I just replaced it.

Since this thread was bumped...

The biggest improvement I've made to the brightness of my gauges was to trim away the shields from the sides of the gauges to allow more light onto the face. Even after the LEDs my center gauges were dim at night. I trimmed away the sides and now can read them easily.

Since this thread was bumped...

The biggest improvement I've made to the brightness of my gauges was to trim away the shields from the sides of the gauges to allow more light onto the face. Even after the LEDs my center gauges were dim at night. I trimmed away the sides and now can read them easily.
Nice, I didn't think to try that. I had heard that the plug and play leds were not the brightest so that's why I tried these led strips. In my opinion, you get twice the brightness for half of the money.

Back