General Consensus on Replacement 351C Heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ‘Dog’ comment was about stock 4V heads. This guy was trying to go cheap, that’s why I mentioned the port stuffers.

My own engine upgrade is very pragmatic. I drive on the street and will never see a dragstrip. My street racing days are behind me as well, still, I dig performance. I haven't finished a blog I started about the heads I'm using, but they are Aussie 302 closed chamber 2v port and valve sized, cast iron heads, no port work done. The custom pistons are forged DSS dished, ending up around 9.2 to 9.5 compression. The heads have been machined for screw-in studs and guide plates, and use single groove locks, stainless valves of stock 2v size. Rocker arms are big block Chevy stamped steel pieces. What these heads will give me is QUENCH, a much more efficient port velocity at street rpm's, and a ping-free chamber for use with todays ever-worsening pump gas. Aftermarket performance heads are all using some type of quench, as the stock 4v closed used . I have a valve train now that will handle more RPM than I will ask of it. The cam and kit is a conservative hydraulic Crane grind, .508", 266/280 on 112 LS (I have an automatic trans and power brakes,and A/C, so big cams are OUT ) dual-plane Edelbrock intake, 600 cfm Holley. ( I may try 750 ) Still running manifolds on exhaust as of now, but that may change . An aluminum head swap would have cost me more, for benefits I'll never use, but as it is, It's very responsive and hauls arse.
Sorry to reach so far back but I'm looking at rebuilding my late '70 4v cleveland heads and needed info. Then, while reading posts, I saw something.

Not a name dropper by any means but when I saw who your pistons were from, I have to say, I grew up with one of the owners and known him since we were in like 5th grade. One of my oldest and dearest friends. We all started with MotoX bikes and graduated to Mustangs starting with his brothers '69 coup. Actually, when I bought the '72 vert a couple years ago, it was with him in mind. He had a '71 vert with a 302 in high school.

Back