Great Birthday Present

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine how scary would have been if someone was underneath at the time. Even though I have jack stands on my scissors lift as a last resort, when I go under I am always thinking about the direction I will run if something happens. With the scissors lift, if something happens I don't want to walk over the "scissors" because, guess what, they will find me cut in two pieces!

Just try to avoid this happening.

And, if it does happen, make sure you have an engine crane and some tie down straps handy ::thumb::

...Mickus
Wow, I hope they got that GTO down without damaging it. Can't really tell from the photo, plus the engine crane is lifting/supporting the leaning side but I'm wondering if it was a case of the garage floor not being able to support the compressed weight of the lift supports which started the leaning.

Hey Jim, this is the owners synopsis:

"OK, time to come clean. Sort of like confession. I bought myself a second four post lift for Christmas. Kind of a Merry Christmas to me offset to the blue Tiffany box. I got it put together the Saturday before Christmas and after getting it adjusted and in position I couldn't wait to get a car on it and up in the air. At about the 10:30 that night the Red Car was loaded up and raised. I took it up, brought it down. Took it up again and brought it down again. Everything looked good, so I started taking it up to full elevation and that's when all h_ll broke loose.

The seal in the hydraulic cylinder failed and the whole car started coming down. The lift has safety guards for such a situation, and it sort of worked. The problem is that the drivers side rear was just high enough to catch to upper safety lock. The passenger side rear was enough lower that it came to rest 5" lower. The driver's front also settled on the lock 5" lower. By this time the whole lift was twisting and had become unstable. I was holding onto the front driver's side leg trying to keep a total collapse from occurring. Ultimately the passenger front locked in about 1.5' lower than the driver's rear. It was ugly. There was hydraulic fluid everywhere, I was holding onto the lift, my neighbor Ken was in shock, and the Red Car was about to go through the garage wall.

When all was said and done the whole mess stabilized, but barely. Each post was leaning about 20 degrees off of plumb and resting on only one corner of the base plate. I could have pushed it over with about 10lbs of force. Talk about a mess....I called My Pal Dave and MPD, my neighbor Ken and I quickly went to work. We secured the top of the posts using binder straps hooked to the ceiling bar joists. We also anchored a chain to the wall with Hilti anchors and secured straps between it and the bottom of the posts to keep them from kicking out. About 2:30am that morning I went to bed hoping that when I woke up the car would not be sticking through the garage wall.

Well I got up about 7:00am and the car was still standing. I called two fantastic neighbors over and we devised a plan of action. One of them had a good friend that runs the local All Crane branch. All Crane dispatched two of their best guys on a Sunday and they showed up with a 9000lb Fork Lift, a cube of crib timbers, chain hoists and a bunch of steel to bridge the bar joists. The other neighbor dispatched his best guy from the manufacturing facility he owns with more steel, chain falls and a service truck. Ultimately we secured the whole structure with chain falls, cribbed the rear of the lift solid, and used the fork lift to elevate and level the front of the car and lift. Once this was accomplished, we started lowering the whole thing 6" at a time. By 5:30 the car was on the ground and the only things damaged were my pride and pocket book."

BTW; although handy to move these lifts around, it's not a bad idea to beef up the floor with a pad footing and dynabolt/mungo/hilti the base plates of the lift to the pad footing, unless your hardstand concrete is an appropriate thickness and mpa then you should be able to fix directly to your existing floor. This goes for pallet racking too, unsecured pallet racking is a disaster waiting to happen.

Cheers...

...Mick

Very inspiring Mike!

I've been looking at a 4 poster too. Locally I'm looking at around AU$3000 (US$2200). A 2 poster is cheaper and allows work on the wheels but I cringe everytime I see a convertible on a 2 poster. I could do with another testicle myself so I might bite the bullet for xmas.

...Mickus
Mine was even more expensive. Remember: Europe!

A two poster is more practical and cheaper but I'm gonna park a car up there over the winter so it had to be one with four posts. The sliding jack allows me to lift the car and have the wheels up so that takes care of that.

Whenever we hoist my vert up on my friend's two poster the whole car sags and it's painful to watch.

I can't imagine letting it hang like that for a few months in a row.
Does your jack look like this?

Hey Jim, this is the owners synopsis:

"OK, time to come clean. Sort of like confession. I bought myself a second four post lift for Christmas. Kind of a Merry Christmas to me offset to the blue Tiffany box. I got it put together the Saturday before Christmas and after getting it adjusted and in position I couldn't wait to get a car on it and up in the air. At about the 10:30 that night the Red Car was loaded up and raised. I took it up, brought it down. Took it up again and brought it down again. Everything looked good, so I started taking it up to full elevation and that's when all h_ll broke loose.

The seal in the hydraulic cylinder failed and the whole car started coming down. The lift has safety guards for such a situation, and it sort of worked. The problem is that the drivers side rear was just high enough to catch to upper safety lock. The passenger side rear was enough lower that it came to rest 5" lower. The driver's front also settled on the lock 5" lower. By this time the whole lift was twisting and had become unstable. I was holding onto the front driver's side leg trying to keep a total collapse from occurring. Ultimately the passenger front locked in about 1.5' lower than the driver's rear. It was ugly. There was hydraulic fluid everywhere, I was holding onto the lift, my neighbor Ken was in shock, and the Red Car was about to go through the garage wall.

When all was said and done the whole mess stabilized, but barely. Each post was leaning about 20 degrees off of plumb and resting on only one corner of the base plate. I could have pushed it over with about 10lbs of force. Talk about a mess....I called My Pal Dave and MPD, my neighbor Ken and I quickly went to work. We secured the top of the posts using binder straps hooked to the ceiling bar joists. We also anchored a chain to the wall with Hilti anchors and secured straps between it and the bottom of the posts to keep them from kicking out. About 2:30am that morning I went to bed hoping that when I woke up the car would not be sticking through the garage wall.

Well I got up about 7:00am and the car was still standing. I called two fantastic neighbors over and we devised a plan of action. One of them had a good friend that runs the local All Crane branch. All Crane dispatched two of their best guys on a Sunday and they showed up with a 9000lb Fork Lift, a cube of crib timbers, chain hoists and a bunch of steel to bridge the bar joists. The other neighbor dispatched his best guy from the manufacturing facility he owns with more steel, chain falls and a service truck. Ultimately we secured the whole structure with chain falls, cribbed the rear of the lift solid, and used the fork lift to elevate and level the front of the car and lift. Once this was accomplished, we started lowering the whole thing 6" at a time. By 5:30 the car was on the ground and the only things damaged were my pride and pocket book."

BTW; although handy to move these lifts around, it's not a bad idea to beef up the floor with a pad footing and dynabolt/mungo/hilti the base plates of the lift to the pad footing, unless your hardstand concrete is an appropriate thickness and mpa then you should be able to fix directly to your existing floor. This goes for pallet racking too, unsecured pallet racking is a disaster waiting to happen.

Cheers...

...Mick
Thanks Mick, I'll be able to sleep tonight knowing the GTO survived it.

I had a similar issue with my pal's '98 Ram 2500 4x4 on one of the lifts at the Auto Hobby Shop. One of the safeties didn't disengage (passenger rear corner) as I was bringing it down and the whole thing started leaning - I'd gotten distracted by someone walking by asking where the restroom was, or something like that. I looked back and immediately stopped lowering it - I was lucky I'd only let it get about 1 foot lower, but it looked like it was ready to go over (probably not so much... but it SO didn't look good). The posts were a LOT bigger, and anchored to the floor with 1" bolts, through a 10" reinforced concrete floor (commercial building), and they didn't budge a bit, actually.

I was fortunate enough to be able to simply raise the lift back up, pass by the locked-up safety catch, unlock them all again, and bring the truck down without any further hassle.

I've noticed that when the platforms are settled down onto the safeties, they might not always disengage. My new rule of thumb is to raise the platforms past the 'safety clicks' where I want it, listen for all four to cycle, then lower the car back onto the safeties. When I'm ready to bring the car down, I raise the platforms back up until I hear them cycle again, disengage the safeties, then lower the car, checking all four corners for any hang-ups. So far, so good.

Just gotta be careful and keep your focus while operating it, as with anything. ::thumb::

Today the roads were sufficiently dry to get the Mustang home from my garage I rent in a neighboring town and introduce it to its new habitat. It's pretty tight but I works just fine.

What a sight! Finally! :)

So I can start replacing suspension parts next week. :)

image.jpeg

awesome, congratulations!

In the picture, is it as high it can go? Are you planing on parking another car underneath?
No and yes. :)

You replied during the time I had problems uploading the second picture. It goes all the way up till the lift switches off.

I can stand under the ramps without hitting my head.

And yes, the other two cars will be in the garage too, so one will be parked underneath. That way it will be really worth it if the lift fails. :)

You might be on to something there! :)

In that case I should park the wife's Alfa Romeo there instead of my VW Golf! :)

Back