Grounding question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
'72 302 fastback. Replaced battery due to age a while ago, also replaced cables, now it seems the car intermittently struggles to start, (cranks sluggishly).

I have a WIRE running from the ground post on the alternator to one of the attach bolts for the vr. I also have the ground cable running from the battery to the block. These are the only grounds I have at this time. The new ground cable has a WIRE pigtail with a female end spliced onto it.

I've read that the more grounds the better so I was wondering if there's a wire that's supposed to connected to this wire then also to the vr bolt. Along with the sluggish starting problem troubleshooting, I am going to double check all my existing ground connections and have my starter tested. I'm mostly concerned about the correct ground locations/configurations. The alternator is  putting out within limits too...…………..

My '72, long ago, had a bare, flat woven cable that went from the back of the block to the firewall. It wouldn't help with your starter issue, but it was the ground for everything on the car body.

Back