has anyone gone the EFI route?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It did come out nice.. just curious, why a turbo Windsor and not a supercharger? I've heard the plumbing can be a pain..

My spouse just pulled the funding for the 73's planned Coyote conversion, for a while. Money went for new garrage and Govt. mandated furlough.

So plan B is to re-use the parts that were replaced when the EFI 308 in the 2+2 was upped to EFI 331. Essentially everything was pulled, except harness, Moates Quarterhorse and fuel feed system. Anywho I have 24lb injectors, 24lb.cal'ed 70mm PMAF, 65mm TB, and Exploder intake sitting on the shelf. Instead of letting it go to waste I'll EFI the 73. To that end I just picked up a 92 Mustang ECCIV harness and A9M(same as A9P).

Time to break out the old fordfuelinjection.com schematics and start rewiring. I'd like to hide the wiring. Though I'll prolly just eliminate the salt & pepper shakers and TAD, TAB and Canister purge as I truely hate harness re-working..

I do like Mesozoic replacing the TFI dizzy with EDIS. Butt, that would involve buying new parts not essential. The thought is there however.

One thing that's nice about the small block s are that you can go as mild or wild as you want. Also, whatever transmission you choose, will technically fit another motor. As for your 5.0L build, you when the time comes, you can keep your motor or go with a Windsor or Cleveland based motor fairly easily..

Just an option..

Last edited by a moderator:
im running the RGM injection tech harness and it was just 3 wires and it fired right up. and if I run one decently sized single turbo the piping shouldn't be too bad. id really like to see how your car will come out.

I've got a group of friends here in Tucson that are religious about turbos. One of them is making 1000 hp out of a single turbo in an '85 Capri. Another one has it in a '95 F-150 2WD which simply hauls. I do know that their initial attempts to turbocharge Mustangs involved taking late model 5.0 headers and reversing them so they point forward - then bolting turbos to the header flanges.

A question for those that are running the stock style EFI manifolds, with the throttle body mounted facing the passenger (or driver side) fenders. What have you done with for your throttle linkage? I think my stock throttle cable looks a bit short, but if it were longer I think it would be a direct fit onto a 5.0 throttle body.

There is an article about an all aluminum Cleveland build with EFI in this month's Modified Mustangs and Fords.

A question for those that are running the stock style EFI manifolds, with the throttle body mounted facing the passenger (or driver side) fenders. What have you done with for your throttle linkage? I think my stock throttle cable looks a bit short, but if it were longer I think it would be a direct fit onto a 5.0 throttle body.
I'd look at the OE cables from a car of the same vintage as the engine. Lokar may be a viable option as well.

I did a bunch of research last night and it appears that the '71-73 Mustang throttle linkage is already a cable actuated and can be directly adapted to Ford EFI with no modifications. That makes late model 5.0 cable assemblies a direct drop-in as well. I've heard the early '90s T-Bird throttle cables are a bit longer and have been used before on a '71 EFI conversion (found this info somewhere on Vintage Mustang Forums).

I actually have an early 90s T-Bird throttle cable in the garage, I'll check it out and post results.

If I remember, 1969+ mustangs had throttle cables. I believe the t-birds and the '94-'95 mustangs were similar. The '94+ mustangs were similar in size to the'71-73 mustangs..

If I remember, 1969+ mustangs had throttle cables. I believe the t-birds and the '94-'95 mustangs were similar. The '94+ mustangs were similar in size to the'71-73 mustangs..
Alright, well the T-Bird cable is not exactly a drop in, but it could be if I had the tools to make it happen. The top cable end is from the '91 T-Bird and the bottom cable end is the '71 Mustang. As you can see, I need to somehow crimp an eyelet style end to the '91 T-Bird cable as well as transfer the 2 bolt flange assembly, if possible.

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The 73 cable has an end more like the t-bird cable. I'm not sure when Ford switched but we ran into that with the stock eliminator car a couple of years ago. A flange could be fabbed up that the t-bird cable could clip into.

The 73 cable has an end more like the t-bird cable. I'm not sure when Ford switched but we ran into that with the stock eliminator car a couple of years ago. A flange could be fabbed up that the t-bird cable could clip into.
My initial thoughts were to have the throttle body facing the driver side fender (unlike a stock 5.0 EFI setup). I think the stock '71 cable would in fact work perfectly for a setup like that, the only issue being that the TB would need to be pushed instead of pulled.

Back