Headlight wiring routing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
‘73 convertible 302 2v
Best of the new year to you all. Looking for some insight as to where/how the headlight and marker light wiring is routed in a 73. The PO has the wires fastened across the top of the radiator, secured with twine and zip ties. Pretty sure that’s not factory:). Here’s a pic of how I found the car. I’m working my way back starting at the grille.

Thanks in advance for any directions or pics.

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_C6BBE2DA8AC2-1.jpeg
    IMG_C6BBE2DA8AC2-1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
While you're in there doing that correctly, perhaps consider adding relays to power the headlights. Oh, and while you're at it, switch the lights to LED's with Hella Vision Plus and H4 9003/HB2 type LED bulbs, then add Direct Fit Water Shields!!
Search for my posts on that subject, or I can repost it or send you a PM with details.

Last edited:
There’s a couple of holes in the back side of the lower structural part for push in wire loom retainers…bundle sort of rests on an L shaped part of the stamping…l

While you're in there doing that correctly, perhaps consider adding relays to power the headlights. Oh, and while you're at it, switch the lights to LED's with Hella Vision Plus and H4 9003/HB2 type bulbs, then add Direct Fit Water Shields!!
Search for my posts on that subject, or I can repost it or send you a PM with details.
I am a fan of headlight relays on the First Generation Mustangs, no mater what headlight technology is being used.

https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-hrk-all

I am a fan of headlight relays on the First Generation Mustangs, no mater what headlight technology is being used.

https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-hrk-all
I agree with you.
I was able to make my own relay harness with help and components bought from Bill at HiPoParts.com. He supplied me with a diagram and all the high end parts to do the job. I did however, need to buy my own wire in different colors, in 25 ft rolls. I could have just bought trailer light wire by the foot and that would have been good for the relay to lights wire. The power wire for battery to the relays, one high beam one low beam, ought to be 12 gauge with a fuse.

Not 100 percent sure this is the same as a 73, but here is the Ford Assembly Manual 1972 illustration, it’s kinda hard to read, but I think you’ll get the idea where it all goes:

image.jpg

This is an AAW wiring schemattic…

Attachments

• 71 Mach 1 Front Lights.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Back