Heater hose routing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it's the supply hose that gets the valve, but I wasn't paying that much attention when I took mine out. As far as routing, I'm not sure I get the question, the hoses go from the water pump to the firewall, there's not many ways to do that with the correct length hoses.

See if this pic helps...also post a thread about who you are and what car you have in the intro thread.

34sqnfb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Water pump outlet hose hooks to the side with the valve. Return line goes to the block nipple

In this manner, the water flow is cut off before the heater core. In reality, it will "work" in either configuration, but if the water pump is pumping into a core with the valve closed leaks will be much more significant.

I added a padded hanger to the passenger side shock to support the hoses and keep things neat. There was a hole already drilled toward the back side of the tower, but I have aftermarket shock tower braces and with the stock ones in place it is a little hidden.

Water pump outlet hose hooks to the side with the valve. Return line goes to the block nipple

In this manner, the water flow is cut off before the heater core. In reality, it will "work" in either configuration, but if the water pump is pumping into a core with the valve closed leaks will be much more significant.

I added a padded hanger to the passenger side shock to support the hoses and keep things neat. There was a hole already drilled toward the back side of the tower, but I have aftermarket shock tower braces and with the stock ones in place it is a little hidden.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the direction of flow is from the nipple on the block (that location is not the intake manifold) to the heater core. The water pump "pulls" the coolant through the heater core and back to the pump. Technically this also serves as a bypass in that it returns warm/hot water back to the pump (and then through the engine) without going through the radiator. So you would put the shutoff valve between the block and the heater core if you'd like to keep hot coolant from radiating to your core in the summer.

Back