Hello 717273mustangs.com... er uh.. 7173mustangs.com

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
awesome to see 7173 owners here and even HO owners here! thanks so much for everyone's encouragements! say HELLO if u see me in Vegas! we will have to round up the 717273 guys and grrls for a CRUISIN' down The Strip!!

i ditched the nasty hookers and delta flow 40s on my HO.. probably, no time for blackjack in Las Vegas next week...

when i started restoring her 1 year ago, i was debating forever, whether to return it to concour or warp me back in time to when i bought my "dream car" as a 19 year old in so california, fresh out of Marine Corps boot camp.. finally, those memories when i was a crazy 19-22 year old all came back... cutting away the autolite mufflers and installing turbo mufflers (dumb)... replacing the clutch too many times to mention... having the solenoid, alternator, distributor, battery all go DEAD on me, at different times... running out of gas in the middle of the street because the fuel gauge stopped a little above the empty line. hacking away at the rear trim panels to put bigger speakers in there... (dumb) but listening to Boston or The Cars or The Cure on full blast was kewl in the day but now my ears still ring with a bit of hearing loss (dumb)... wondering why i didn't buy a car with air conditioning on those HOT socal summer days...

do i regret the hacking away, the modifications, turning in a HO core alternator for reman alternator, cutting away OEM parts for aftermarket parts? yes and no. BUT those "molestations" are imprinted into her DNA...i see them, touch them... and they are memories, priceless memories come back, the feelings, who rode with me, saw movies at the drive in with, the trips back and forth between SoCal and NorCal, getting saluted as if i were an officer entering Camp Pendleton when I drove up only for the guard to realize i was another PFC or LCPL, the many midnight runs to in n out or tommys in la, the weekend beach trips to Huntington, Sunset...

i paid $100g for my porsche cayenne turbo, i ran my $114G 997 C4S Cab to 147 mph on I-5, i drove like a mad man in my e36 M3... but you know, this 1972 MUSTANG MACH 1 351 HO worth $30-55g by Hagertys IS more valuable than those cars combined will ever be to me.. those are just cars... i dreamed of owning a 1972 Mach 1 351HO since I was a 14 yo high school kid who couldnt drive yet... the Boss 351 tore up the cars of its day, including the earlier Boss 429s... but i liked the urethane spoiler/bumper of the mach 1, the honey comb grills, the dual exhaust cut outs... when i was ready to buy my first car, i called the first 1972 Mach 1 in the classifieds... asked the guy if it had Power Windows, he said yes. asked if it had a 4 speed, he said yes. asked if it was an HO, he said yes. I was 19 years old. It was 1983. i paid $2000 cash. didn't even know how to drive a 4 speed. the owner had to back out of his driveway for me into the street, and pointed me in the right direction. my friends gave me a couple pointers and followed behind in their car. chirped the tires all the way back, trying to figure out how to clutch, shift and throttle. IT'S NOT FOR SALE AT ANY PRICE...

the mods i'm doing are very subtle... looks fairly original... easily changed back to stock by the time of the 75th Mustang Anniversary and just too withered to push a clutch... it will be trailer queen by then, i guess... Lord willing i make it to the 75th Anniversary I guess.. my Mustang club has both MCA Concour trailer queen winners and full on restomod winners, and MCA judges... so, while i'm 49 going on 50, i really feel like 19 going on 20... RESTOMOD it is for now... it will look mostly STOCK on the outside, but serious GUTS with modern conveniences and comfort...

here's a more current pix of the car, from about 3 months ago..

1972 Mach 1 2014-01 January sm.jpg

awesome to see 7173 owners here and even HO owners here! thanks so much for everyone's encouragements! say HELLO if u see me in Vegas! we will have to round up the 717273 guys and grrls for a CRUISIN' down The Strip!!

i ditched the nasty hookers and delta flow 40s on my HO.. probably, no time for blackjack in Las Vegas next week...

when i started restoring her 1 year ago, i was debating forever, whether to return it to concour or warp me back in time to when i bought my "dream car" as a 19 year old in so california, fresh out of Marine Corps boot camp.. finally, those memories when i was a crazy 19-22 year old all came back... cutting away the autolite mufflers and installing turbo mufflers (dumb)... replacing the clutch too many times to mention... having the solenoid, alternator, distributor, battery all go DEAD on me, at different times... running out of gas in the middle of the street because the fuel gauge stopped a little above the empty line. hacking away at the rear trim panels to put bigger speakers in there... (dumb) but listening to Boston or The Cars or The Cure on full blast was kewl in the day but now my ears still ring with a bit of hearing loss (dumb)... wondering why i didn't buy a car with air conditioning on those HOT socal summer days...

do i regret the hacking away, the modifications, turning in a HO core alternator for reman alternator, cutting away OEM parts for aftermarket parts? yes and no. BUT those "molestations" are imprinted into her DNA...i see them, touch them... and they are memories, priceless memories come back, the feelings, who rode with me, saw movies at the drive in with, the trips back and forth between SoCal and NorCal, getting saluted as if i were an officer entering Camp Pendleton when I drove up only for the guard to realize i was another PFC or LCPL, the many midnight runs to in n out or tommys in la, the weekend beach trips to Huntington, Sunset...

i paid $100g for my porsche cayenne turbo, i ran my $114G 997 C4S Cab to 147 mph on I-5, i drove like a mad man in my e36 M3... but you know, this 1972 MUSTANG MACH 1 351 HO worth $30-55g by Hagertys IS more valuable than those cars combined will ever be to me.. those are just cars... i dreamed of owning a 1972 Mach 1 351HO since I was a 14 yo high school kid who couldnt drive yet... the Boss 351 tore up the cars of its day, including the earlier Boss 429s... but i liked the urethane spoiler/bumper of the mach 1, the honey comb grills, the dual exhaust cut outs... when i was ready to buy my first car, i called the first 1972 Mach 1 in the classifieds... asked the guy if it had Power Windows, he said yes. asked if it had a 4 speed, he said yes. asked if it was an HO, he said yes. I was 19 years old. It was 1983. i paid $2000 cash. didn't even know how to drive a 4 speed. the owner had to back out of his driveway for me into the street, and pointed me in the right direction. my friends gave me a couple pointers and followed behind in their car. chirped the tires all the way back, trying to figure out how to clutch, shift and throttle. IT'S NOT FOR SALE AT ANY PRICE...

the mods i'm doing are very subtle... looks fairly original... easily changed back to stock by the time of the 75th Mustang Anniversary and just too withered to push a clutch... it will be trailer queen by then, i guess... Lord willing i make it to the 75th Anniversary I guess.. my Mustang club has both MCA Concour trailer queen winners and full on restomod winners, and MCA judges... so, while i'm 49 going on 50, i really feel like 19 going on 20... RESTOMOD it is for now... it will look mostly STOCK on the outside, but serious GUTS with modern conveniences and comfort...

here's a more current pix of the car, from about 3 months ago..
That is a great story. I also was 19 when I bought mine back in 72.

Great story. Keep the pics coming and welcome from North Carolina.

::welcome:: from Latrobe, PA

hello there 717273mustangs... haha :p ... i mean, 7173mustangs.com

i'm new to this forum (i think... lol)

hope to spend some time here... been restoring my 1972 Mach 1 for the past year (non-op prior 20 years) and have done so many bone-headed things... well, i might not spend much time here until May cuz I'm furiously trying to get CHRISTINE road worth for the 10 HOUR DRIVE to Las Vegas NEXT WEEK!! I've spent 5-8 hours a day straight for the past 2 weeks..i'm spent (tired) and spent (broke.. over budget)...

Happy 50th to the Mustang on April 17... (and happy 50th to me too the day after...)

ciao for now
Guess I'll have to change mine's name to Cybill' She told me her name is Christine(RE: COTM March slot for next years calendar) Guess the one I have is multi-personalitied! Ha, lol! I built her up or resurrected her after exhuming her from the North Hill(s), Pittsburgh suburb.

That's an awesome story. I think that many of the 7173mustangs.com members are cut from the same cloth!
@ my mustang, been always garage kept but from Jun/13 to Now was kept in custody of World Class Transmission in Murraysville, PA which on warrantee work, ie 6/13 Gear

vendors overdrive installed and exhaust pipe was not reinstalled through the tunnel as well, disconnected the parking brake cable, I noticed was 6 inches too short to reach rear brake to find out unbeknowest to me about the xhaust, and traction bars needed to be raised only an inch or two which while in for warrantee work they had record for installing brakes so went from drum rear to disc brake conversion SSBC and they tried to force the calipers in and sat on it in their parking lot rotting through the snow term till I went down and discovered it. Rear had a rubber scratch on it and very dirty but ready to let that go even when they said they could not fix the parking brake, needed an extension(how strange) being all the way out there and me in LATROBE, was beside myself in going over to hassle them to get the job done, then came the trouble when found out upon leaving the lot, "no brakes, clip under dash from brake pedal to brakes, broken and gave way when I needed the brakes at the first turnoff on Rt 66. May as well been Rt 666! "highway to hell", per se. Took it back, they paid for flatbed, I documented as on my photo album p. 8, accident site, and upon them saying just can not fix park brake and they said, "brakes on, works great but still no park brake" I flat bedded it because of bad dirty salty roads to nearby shop that handles a lot of my electrical work to find, fitting on rear as well calipers and pumpkin severely leaking so took up the photos and demanded they take it back, the week of

dec 4. They said all it needed was brake cable extension, I found a place and told them to flat bed it there to fix the park brakes, to find, they dumped it there, never told them about the car and its intricasies, to find, no, brakes still, no pin on brake pedal.....broken rear sway bar mount, and apparently, they broke studs on rear wheels and replaced with oversized studs! Also to find a special color front light accessory broken and have to either con factory to give me another/bad part or else pay to the piper. At simple $250 brake install and the 2.5k for labor on the overdrive and now going to cost me over 8k between, brakes, exhaust, lights, and they also did something to the EFI unit where ended up with a 6 month O2 sensor, never on the road except for there place and that cost me 1.2k extra to get it running, so, turns out that flatbedding it was the safest upon getting it out of there which could might have had the same out of control on the road a 2nd time and actually if it wasn't for me getting up under the dash, in a hard place to get for the pin, would have been a near accident at best for a 3rd time. Don't get me wrong, I'll stick to it but also take the transmission shop to court for @ 10k. But will never take it there again. Although overcrowded lot, and well known, I think this was a deliberate act on their garages personnel, past a quality assurance problem. (re; only transmission shop in Westmoreland county unless I pulled the tranee out to have it worked on. they did a good overhaul on it though upon flatbedding it home in case of my reservations were correct about them, I found out after the fact, even w/tranee overhaul, heard a thunk/clunk on my garage floor and stick shifter was seized up, ie big bolt from something under there fell out) As you can see of what I put into it and temporarily ran re: my COTM march nomination on the calendar, 18 photos and an earnest article, but shortly thereafter, I do not know what to say.

:angel:

::welcome:: from Latrobe, PA

hope to spend some time here... been restoring my 1972 Mach 1 for the past year (non-op prior 20 years) and have done so many bone-headed things... well, i might not spend much time here until May cuz I'm furiously trying to get CHRISTINE road worth for the 10 HOUR DRIVE to Las Vegas NEXT WEEK!! I've spent 5-8 hours a day straight for the past 2 weeks..i'm spent (tired) and spent (broke.. over budget)...Never been to Vegas. If wife would not hold it against me, I'd rent a mustang convertible and jet across for @ a week, to-there-return. We have some feline friends that need out attention and can't abandon wife, even promising movies and thousands of pics, I think, she'd take it as grounds for separation.W/undetermined problems that many garages complicated my car to, will not attempt to take it on the road, anymore than in town, this year.

Happy 50th to the Mustang on April 17... (and happy 50th to me too the day after...)

ciao for now
Guess I'll have to change mine's name to Cybill' She told me her name is Christine(RE: COTM March slot for next years calendar) Guess the one I have is multi-personalitied! Ha, lol! I built her up or resurrected her after exhuming her from the North Hill(s), Pittsburgh suburb.

:D

::welcome:: from Maine
That is choice graphics. Only thing I have for now is through my 18 photos for COTM March slot for next years calendar but, got this!

:rolleyes:

thanks for the welcomes from all the country and world! wow

attached is a pix of the restoration in progress...

and a youtube link to the motor getting the idle tuned after a top end rebuild with new shortys, exhausts, etc.

Welcome from Latrobe, PA. I am a proud owner of an R-code modified from Q-code convertible you can see my 18 photos and at the time, earnest account of all my options and what she will do. Got @ 150k between parts in the garage leftover, modifications and restoration in the past 10 years w/only 2,200 miles on rebuilt toploader and engine. Would never sell it, though only get 35k for a total w/insurance company, but my first and last really serious car. Had my Dodge Daytona Shelby Z that went through Car Crafters and Shelby factory.....then a 76 Corvette new w/Gymkana racing suspension which never found anything like it. A couple foreign jobers like 79 Renault R-17 Gordini Sports Coupe/Convertible....but to me, nothing meet this one. (specs on my March COTM article for next years calendar) Not the R-code of 71 w/the Boss 351 11.1 compression and 4.85 or so, Detroit Locker but a 3.5 limited slip posi w9.5:1 compression on a wide ration toploader/Hurst 4-speed shifter w/a Gear Vendors Overdrive for long distance run, "some day". Would not get rid of it even if someone came up to me w/100k, (maybe the 150k) 'getting to be kinda old to persist over another 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

hope to spend some time here... been restoring my 1972 Mach 1 for the past year (non-op prior 20 years) and have done so many bone-headed things... well, i might not spend much time here until May cuz I'm furiously trying to get CHRISTINE road worth for the 10 HOUR DRIVE to Las Vegas NEXT WEEK!! I've spent 5-8 hours a day straight for the past 2 weeks..i'm spent (tired) and spent (broke.. over budget)...

ciao for now
PS broke here too. Learned everything there is to know @ mine the hard way by entrusting the resto to garages that did not know what

they were doing plus the money for correcting their mistakes as you can read on my photo album & good ex my close call w/improper brake install on p 8. I TELL MY KIN THE MONEY EARMARKED TO LV TO THEIR INHERITANCE IS THE CAR AND WHEN THEY HEAR IT HISTORY THEY DO NOT FIGHT OVER WHO WILL GET IT! HA HA SERIOUSLY!

not sure i will make it.. one day left to finish before driving off... so much left to do.. it's a "work in progress" car IF i show up in Vegas..

she leaked power steering fluid everywhere yesterday. :mad: new hose solved it. but that set me back. new headliner installed, but some A-pillar plastic trim snapped apart... :mad: carpet re-dyed and installed, trap door put back together and intalled, and quarter panels put back in... dash is in pieces still... :-/

the alignment was done on the new suspension and steering linkage, BUT for some reason, she sits about 1" higher on the passenger side. About 14" from center rim to top of the lip on the driver side and 15" on passenger side. hope the 1000+ mile drive will settle the suspension a little. or CUT COILS in a couple weeks! :D

kinda depressing that i have NOT found the FLEXIBLE DUCT that connects my main Snorkel to the Plastic D2ZZ COLD AIR INDUCTION that goes under the battery tray. i ran an open element aftermarket air cleaner before it went into storage years ago. but i was hoping to put more UNIQUE pieces back into the car for this show. i wonder if the HO was the first full-time CAI in a Mustang before it went system wide into the 1973 Mustangs? :huh:

anyway, i'm going to try a MACGYVER :idea: and set up a Dual Ram Air system similar to the 1964 Thunderbolts... because the HO has a DUAL SNORKEL air cleaner... besides the original CAI opens facing the ground just behind the radiator support, which seems better than grabbing HOT AIR from inside the engine bay, but... if time allows, i'll post a pic.

meanwhile, i'll share a project :idea: you might want to try... see attached photo... do you know what i did? any one else done this to their 71-73?

Remote Hood Latch IMG_4165.jpg

Welcome from West Virginia! We have an R Code in the family along with two Boss 351s and the 73 Q Code in my pic.

not sure i will make it.. one day left to finish before driving off... so much left to do.. it's a "work in progress" car IF i show up in Vegas..

she leaked power steering fluid everywhere yesterday. :mad: new hose solved it. but that set me back. new headliner installed, but some A-pillar plastic trim snapped apart... :mad: carpet re-dyed and installed, trap door put back together and intalled, and quarter panels put back in... dash is in pieces still... :-/

the alignment was done on the new suspension and steering linkage, BUT for some reason, she sits about 1" higher on the passenger side. About 14" from center rim to top of the lip on the driver side and 15" on passenger side. hope the 1000+ mile drive will settle the suspension a little. or CUT COILS in a couple weeks! :D

kinda depressing that i have NOT found the FLEXIBLE DUCT that connects my main Snorkel to the Plastic D2ZZ COLD AIR INDUCTION that goes under the battery tray. i ran an open element aftermarket air cleaner before it went into storage years ago. but i was hoping to put more UNIQUE pieces back into the car for this show. i wonder if the HO was the first full-time CAI in a Mustang before it went system wide into the 1973 Mustangs? :huh:

anyway, i'm going to try a MACGYVER :idea: and set up a Dual Ram Air system similar to the 1964 Thunderbolts... because the HO has a DUAL SNORKEL air cleaner... besides the original CAI opens facing the ground just behind the radiator support, which seems better than grabbing HOT AIR from inside the engine bay, but... if time allows, i'll post a pic.

meanwhile, i'll share a project :idea: you might want to try... see attached photo... do you know what i did? any one else done this to their 71-73?
Hey Mac Giver!-awesome addition and economic instead of getting overinvolved in xtra hp w/an EFI -n- turbo. As I installed a straight monte carlo bar which crowded out my ram air snorkel to my Cleveland which looks likd I'll be installing a different hose to air filter fitted below the bar and placing the snorkel on the other side-make it a Ram Air II System!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back