Hello from St. Louis!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Phoenix. That's a good looking ride.

And you are right. I bought my mustang way before Mr. Gore invented the internet. So much more information out here now. So much easier to find parts too. You can still make mistakes (I still do) but there is a lot more support and a lot less trial and error!

thanks again, everyone! and I totally agree that backtracking from what I have now would be a real financial burden in both the car, and headache medicine departments more than anything. making this into what I will enjoy for years to come is the goal. Considering this isn't an original numbers car as it is, I can still sleep comfortable at night knowing that I'm not doing wrong by it. There is some body work to get into, and it does need paint. crossing my fingers on what I find from there. As I mentioned before, there was some modding done a pretty good amount of time ago. Interior seems to be all in fairly solid shape but as outdated as it is from the PO I am already looking at TMI quite often and enjoying the looks of their retro style with todays approach in mind. I believe Mach1lady has the exact covers I am looking into. And I really like that carbon fiber vinyl approach! the style of these beauties embraces the look, in my opinion. I think its going to make for a nice cruiser when it is all said and done!~

Hey-

Welcome from...St. Louis. What part of town are you in?

Any idea how long that car has been in our area? I seem to recall one with white stripes and dark blue-ish paint back in the late 80s.

What size are the wheels that are on the car in the pic? If you want to get rid of them, I might be interested.

Tony

Thanks everyone and this is what I am starting with! Not too bad for being in a barn over the last 7 years. Fortunately the owner did go out and start it on a monthly basis. Research guided me to finding out this was originally a 302, but somewhere along the line it was replaced with a 351w. Looks like it was a bit of a resto mod at some point in the late 80's so I'm assuming that was when the motor made it's way in. Getting started with the front disc conversion (I wouldn't wish my worst enemy the white knuckle terror in driving this right now) in the coming weeks and took the early dive into wheels and tires since these are dry rotted and I planned on running 17x8 all around eventually so that was pretty much all the motivation I needed. The car hasn't shown a need of anything major, just lots of little things that will surely add up!
Heck of a lot better than what i started with!

Welcome from Illinois. I'm about 40 miles east of you off I-70.

Hey-

Welcome from...St. Louis. What part of town are you in?

Any idea how long that car has been in our area? I seem to recall one with white stripes and dark blue-ish paint back in the late 80s.

What size are the wheels that are on the car in the pic? If you want to get rid of them, I might be interested.

Tony
I'm located right off highway 55 on the city/county line. I'm not 100 percent on the history beyond what the previous owner told me. He had the car right over in Columbia Illinois for the past 8 years or so and only drove it a total of 7 times since he wasn't much on the mechanical side and never got around to upgrading brakes and such. He picked the car up from a guy who had it as rent payment from another guy. I have been doing more and more research so haven't been hopping on this forum much lately. The block is a 72 351w, which was somewhat of a relief because I was hoping for one of the more solid of the 351w. I still have yet to pull the exhaust manifold to get to the head casting numbers. Hoping they are something decent for the sake of compression. Otherwise I might begin to think about GT40, or even a "clevor" setup. I pulled the front drums and saw a lower control arm was in need just to find that both on the car are the ones out of the factory. Not bad for making it 44 years lol. The wheels on the car are 15x8. I just got the 17x8 I ordered so I will finally have them off, shortly. I hadn't decided what I was going to do with them as of yet since it never hurts to have stuff for trade. Hopefully we don't get too hammered with this winter storm so I can get out to the swap meet at our local six flags this coming weekend!

So much for not getting hammered, huh?

If the lower arms need replacing, I'll bet the uppers are due. Front end work is easy, especially if you pull both springs out and do everything. There is a special spring compressor for the Mustang type spring that is much easier to deal with that trying to use the standard type.

The Windsor gives you more flexibility with rebuilding/power/drivability. I'm dealing with a Cleveland and the two choices seem to be detonation/pinging or too much compression. Money seems to be the only solution.

What swap meet?

I thought the same thing about the uppers but they appear to have been replaced so we will see how it goes. When I first went to go check out the car the po flat out said he didn't know what he had on his hands. All he knew is the air cleaner said 351, which doesn't mean much when it comes to interchangeable parts. When I first popped the hood I did a quick count of bolts and was a little disappointed that it wasn't a Cleveland. But then I noticed the gap between the retaining bolt on the distributor and the bottom of the intake, plus the wider manifold, and was right back to excited that I had at least the windsor for the sake of options like you are saying.

Coming up, march 7th, there is a swap meet at the parking lot of six flags in eureka. I have never been, and am not sure how car specific it is, but the weather looks to be much better and I don't think it could hurt to go check it out. I also know there is one coming up April 12th, "swap meet and car corral", that is strictly automotive over in sauget at the gateway grizzly ballpark. It's from 7 am to 2 pm.

Well, I suppose I know where I'll be on the 7th and the 12th. And on Easter for the big Muni show.

Thanks Don! That's one heck of a collection you have, too!

And detritusmaximus, make sure you mark that down as the 12th of April! I don't want you to be cursing me in 2 weeks if you jumped to any conclusion! If you like google search for St. Louis swap meets and you will get a pretty long list of upcoming things under the Hemings site listed.

No worries, I had April on my mind because I thought of Easter.

Back