Help identifying these wires in 73 dash/under hood (post 3)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantpune

Reaction score
I have some mystery connectors  flopping around in the space where my radio once was.  There's also a connector or two hanging down from that radio area to where the gas pedal is.  The car is a 73 mach 1 with factory air.

First connector is square and what looks like orange with green hash, black with light blue hash, and a white or light blue.  The orange+green and black+blue wires head left back behind the gauge cluster and over towards the driver fender.  I'm guessing this could be the door speaker connector.

Second connector is 3 in a row.  Its a little longer and could possibly extend down to the AC/heater controls.  I see green, green and yellow, and black with blue.  Based on the wire colors, this might have something to do with the map light?

Third connector is 2.  It looks like blue with a pink stripe and white with a pink stripe.  I think this may be power and illumination for the radio?

Fourth connector is hanging down by the gas pedal.  Its 3 in a row.  I see black, blue/pink, green, and yellow wires.

I did find some oddball knob and green connector down here that had a tag that said D2SA 18972-BA.  Looks like that goes to some ford fader/speaker control.  Was that a factory installed item or something aftermarket by ford?  The knob seems in a weird place to come like that off the assembly line.

Hopefully somebody can help identify what the wires are for.  I'm also interested if there's a mating pigtail to each one which would allow me to plug directly into them and add an aftermarket radio without having to cut the existing wires up.

Screenshot_20210507_214243.png

Screenshot_20210507_214323.png

Screenshot_20210507_214649.png

Screenshot_20210507_214728.png

Screenshot_20210507_215043.png

Screenshot_20210507_214849.png

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Yes, stereo radio output plug.

2. Plug for map light

3. Radio input plug (power, lamp)

4. Clock plug

I have a few more wire's and connectors under the hood I'm trying to figure out and get plugged into the correct spots.

Plug #5 is coming from the firewall near the master cylinder.  It has 4 connectors with red and white wires.  I have 2 of them hooked to the coil and the water temp sending unit.  This harness was cut off when I got the car.  I'd like to know where the other two wires go, and it would be even cooler if I could buy the correct harness to plug in here.  When I look around online, I see 3 connector harnesses that say they go to the engine feeds.

Plug #6 is a 3-connector plug right beside #5.  The black and yellow dashed wire leads me to believe it goes to the missing under-hood light.  What do the other 2 wires go to?

Plug #7 is a 1 connector plug, beside #5 and #6.  Its a black wire.

Plug #8 is a 1 connector deal.  Its along a black wire feeding from around the starter solenoid/voltage regulator area.

Screenshot_20210509_193557.png

Screenshot_20210509_193618.png

Screenshot_20210509_193632.png

Screenshot_20210509_193658.png

The four pin plug is a 72/73 engine gauge feed harness, and those should be reproduced.

The three pin plug is for some sort of emissions; you can probably ignore it.

The "black" one pin plug is actually brown, and is for the PRNDL lamp if you have an automagic transmission.

The last one pin plug looks like the lead for an optional engine lamp lead. 

The four pin plug is a 72/73 engine gauge feed harness, and those should be reproduced.

The three pin plug is for some sort of emissions; you can probably ignore it.

The "black" one pin plug is actually brown, and is for the PRNDL lamp if you have an automagic transmission.

The last one pin plug looks like the lead for an optional engine lamp lead. 
Thanks.  On the 4 pin one, do you happen to know which wires go where?  Mine were all cut off about 2" long.  I have one of the ignition coil terminals plugged in there and the engine runs, so that may be the right one.  And I think the water temp sending unit is plugged into one and that gauge works.  I still have the oil temp one and something else to sort out.

There is a weird issue where the car won't run if I unplug the tach in the dash.  It'll fire, but as soon as I stop cranking the key, the engine dies unless the tach is connected.  That seems weird to me.

Thanks.  On the 4 pin one, do you happen to know which wires go where?  Mine were all cut off about 2" long.  I have one of the ignition coil terminals plugged in there and the engine runs, so that may be the right one.  And I think the water temp sending unit is plugged into one and that gauge works.  I still have the oil temp one and something else to sort out.

There is a weird issue where the car won't run if I unplug the tach in the dash.  It'll fire, but as soon as I stop cranking the key, the engine dies unless the tach is connected.  That seems weird to me.
male pin is red/white: water temp

1st female pin is white/red: oil pressure

2nd female pin is coil and lead to starter solenoid (I)

3rd female pin is run-only power for carb anti-stall solenoid

Yes, car won't catch with tach unplugged, as the tach is designed to be IN-LINE with the ignition and the coil, as it is a current-sensing device.  The engine will crank and catch, as one of the 2 second female pin wires is the starter solenoid which feeds the coil ONLY when cranking.

Think that was all, first row is base, second is strip third is hach fourth is dot.

Skärmklipp 2021-05-11 14.53.44.png

Skärmklipp 2021-05-11 14.55.31.png

Skärmklipp 2021-05-11 14.56.38.png

Skärmklipp 2021-05-11 14.56.50.png

Skärmklipp 2021-05-11 14.56.58.png

Skärmklipp 2021-05-11 14.58.23.png

Skärmklipp 2021-05-11 14.58.27.png

Skärmklipp 2021-05-11 14.58.42.png

Back