Here is my 72 Grande 351c 2v

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which of the sanding drums did you use to strip the paint? I bought the same unit to do the same, but haven’t yet started. I have all three drums.

Which of the sanding drums did you use to strip the paint? I bought the same unit to do the same, but haven’t yet started. I have all three drums.
Only the 40 grit one is useful. The others I didn't bother with. Buy a couple of them. You will wear the edges on curves of the car. I also bought the 2 inch strip discs from Amazon for some of the more complex areas like around the back window of a coupe. Used a cordless drill for those.

Your paint looks good, back when we sprayed single stage, our goal was just to make sure there was enough product to wet sand and buff down to a smooth surface. haha.
That is why I got a few sags and runs, went a bit too heavy trying to glass it out. But I did 3 coats so plenty material to cut and polish. Honestly I rather deal with a run than dry spray.

A bit more progress, the vinyl top is now black. My Grande emblems weren't great, missing most of the black paint. So while spraying the top with SEM Color coat I spent quite a bit of time cutting out the Grande script with yellow painter's tape and an exacto knife. Pictures are the result. You can see a bit of unevenness on the top, but it was not fully dry. It looks better now an hour later.

On a side note the green front seats will be for sale shortly, so If you want them send me a message. Passenger is perfect driver has a tear on outside bolster. If interested I will take up close pictures.

PXL_20240623_003543913.jpgPXL_20240623_005701464.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240623_003549899.jpg
    PXL_20240623_003549899.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Ok, the new hood from Summit showed up it is an OER hood. Summit had the best shipping price of only $185 versus everyone else at 300-500. The hood fits pretty well. I need to do some more adjusting but I think the curve of the hood is pretty close and can match it up shimming the fenders. Here are some pictures. The rear of the hood by the windshield needs to be bent upwards maybe 1/8th inch, but it is close to matching. For the first rough fitting the gaps aren't horrible but will need some more tweaking. Just wanted to get it on while I had my son here to help. That way I can see what I am working with and the adjustments needed.

View attachment 87005View attachment 87006View attachment 87007View attachment 87008View attachment 87009View attachment 87010View attachment 87011View attachment 87012View attachment 87013View attachment 87014
Very nice ... thumbs 👍🏼 up..

Nice looking Grande. I have one without the vinyl top right now..
Thank you, my wife inherited it from her dad, I have been working on it since September 2023 getting it back up to good driving condition. Luckily it was stored in a garage and in pretty good shape before I started. Due to only working on it in my free time, an hour here a few there it is a slow process. Mostly trying to do things logically and not over whelm myself. So many little projects I want to do all at the same time. Got to resist the urge. Plus you really do get sick of working on the same thing for months and months. This is why I switched to the interior for a short break from the exterior, replacing carpet and seats. Not a huge task but something different than sanding, painting or polishing. Of course it can't be that simple, found some slight rust under the carpet passenger side. Nothing major requiring any replacement metal, but want to fix it right and prevent more rust. So now I am waiting on POR-15 to show up. More painting yay!!! Oh well restoring a whole car is a process and it will get done when it is done.

Back