Holley Sniper EFI Installation Questions/Recommendations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSC73

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Fastback Mustang Mach 1 351Q 4v
Hello Everyone,

I had a question about where to put my coolant temperature sensor for a Holley EFI kit I recently purchased. It is a 1973 mustang mach 1 351 Cleveland Q Code. If I am not mistaken the coolant temp gauge is where I have circled correct? If so would this be an optimal place to put the coolant temperature sensor that comes in the kit? As well if I decided to remove the coolant gauge and replace it with the coolant temp sensor in the kit where would I move that coolant temp gauge to have the original temp gauges still hooked up? (if that makes sense). Any help at all is appreciated, thank you very much. As well if you have done this before any general tips you have would be great to know!

Attachments

• InkedIMG_6620_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_6620_LI.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
I think that is the best location for the EFI sensor, I found this searching for an Alternative outlet. It might work, since you have heater hoses for the stock temp sensor:

Tapped couplers can be used to stick sensors in heater lines or loop-backs. Same difference as a 5.0L Tee, just a few inches further downstream. This one is from Wild Kart.
XBnXlEY.jpg

I used a different thermostat Housing from I think a 400ci engine. It has two ports in it. I installed the Sniper temperature sensor in the stock location in the block near the water pump, and the Stock Sensor Gauge in the Thermostat housing.

I just checked aBay there is one 1974 1975 1976 Ford Mercury 351 400 460 Truck NOS Thermostat Housing D4AZ-8592-A.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3923188463...TL9il3BspLUCn5qK/7isSpnbg=|tkp:Bk9SR6CgseKUYg
Temp Sensor Locations.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I had a question about where to put my coolant temperature sensor for a Holley EFI kit I recently purchased. It is a 1973 mustang mach 1 351 Cleveland Q Code. If I am not mistaken the coolant temp gauge is where I have circled correct? If so would this be an optimal place to put the coolant temperature sensor that comes in the kit? As well if I decided to remove the coolant gauge and replace it with the coolant temp sensor in the kit where would I move that coolant temp gauge to have the original temp gauges still hooked up? (if that makes sense). Any help at all is appreciated, thank you very much. As well if you have done this before any general tips you have would be great to know!
Looks like others have covered temperature sensor well. I love my sniper. 2 things that may help. After you done if you need help setting IAC( idle air control) there is a Holley produced video on you tube that is very good. Also I ended up installing a progressive linkage on the secondary to keep the pedal response less aggressive. I have a five speed so it was pretty snappy in the beginning. You may not have to do the linkage just what I did and it helped me. I hope your installation goes well. Dennis

It needs to be in the block since the temp is a multiplier for the fuel table. If you install it in a heater hose and the heater valve is not open it won’t read the corrrect temp and you will be in “choke mode” until it reaches operating temp.

Looks like others have covered temperature sensor well. I love my sniper. 2 things that may help. After you done if you need help setting IAC( idle air control) there is a Holley produced video on you tube that is very good. Also I ended up installing a progressive linkage on the secondary to keep the pedal response less aggressive. I have a five speed so it was pretty snappy in the beginning. You may not have to do the linkage just what I did and it helped me. I hope your installation goes well. Dennis
I will see what happens when I get to that point and see if I need it lol thanks for the advice!

Back