Horror and Sci-Fi Movies

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1 (H-Code)
I'm rather a junkie for good, and even not-so-good, horror and science fiction movies. Trouble is, as time goes on, it gets harder and harder for me to find movies I haven't seen before. Maybe I'm just old, but I most often find newer films from these genres just painfully stupid (they don't make 'em like they used to). As a result, I often will review an old movie, because I've seen it "only four or five times." I'm usually busy enough that it doesn't matter that I'm running out of movies, but I've had a little down time lately, which has highlighted the horror/sci-fi deficit.

Luckily, I recently found a couple of newer movies that were surprisingly "good."

Vampire apocalypse type movie: Priest

Ghost story: The Woman in Black

I also "discovered" an older movie that had somehow previously escaped my attention. It's an interesting alien abduction story, starring Christopher Walken: Communion

What good or semi-good creep shows have you seen lately?

I have netflicks that I run through my playstation 3. $8 a month. They have lots of old and new movies on there. I'm getting old too and just don't like that many newer movies. I haven't watched netflicks as much as I thought I would(no time) but it's nice to have and no commercials.

I'm rather a junkie for good, and even not-so-good, horror and science fiction movies. Trouble is, as time goes on, it gets harder and harder for me to find movies I haven't seen before. Maybe I'm just old, but I most often find newer films from these genres just painfully stupid (they don't make 'em like they used to). As a result, I often will review an old movie, because I've seen it "only four or five times." I'm usually busy enough that it doesn't matter that I'm running out of movies, but I've had a little down time lately, which has highlighted the horror/sci-fi deficit.

Luckily, I recently found a couple of newer movies that were surprisingly "good."

Vampire apocalypse type movie: Priest

Ghost story: The Woman in Black

I also "discovered" an older movie that had somehow previously escaped my attention. It's an interesting alien abduction story, starring Christopher Walken: Communion

What good or semi-good creep shows have you seen lately?
Communion was supposed to be based on someone's actual experience; At least that's what the claimed when the movie came out.

IMDB lists it as made in 1994, but that's no matter. I missed it somehow, and will now hunt it down for viewing.

Thanks, Eric!

hahaha the 80's and 90's are a blur to me hahaha my mistake

IMDB lists it as made in 1994, but that's no matter. I missed it somehow, and will now hunt it down for viewing.

Thanks, Eric!

oh and this was awesome to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MntiEGXQFk

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm old. Late 80's and early 90's do somewhat blur for me, nowadays, as well. ;)

Nightbreed was pretty cool, though, having seen it again recently, I'm reminded that it played more like a horror-themed superhero movie than a true horror.

When I think of "horror movies", my first thought goes to "The Night of the Living Dead."

I had just completed my first tour in Vietnam and was stationed at Stewart AFB, NY. The base was several country miles from the town and I had to drive those miles (alone) around 11:00PM after watching the movie at a theater downtown. I tell you, THAT was a LONG drive.

In retrospect, that movie now seems tame:)!

But yes, I agree it does seem that as I get older the horror/sci fi movies no longer seem to provide the same "chills."

BT

When I think of "horror movies", my first thought goes to "The Night of the Living Dead."

I had just completed my first tour in Vietnam and was stationed at Stewart AFB, NY. The base was several country miles from the town and I had to drive those miles (alone) around 11:00PM after watching the movie at a theater downtown. I tell you, THAT was a LONG drive.

In retrospect, that movie now seems tame:)!

But yes, I agree it does seem that as I get older the horror/sci fi movies no longer seem to provide the same "chills."

BT
Now you've done it! I'm a HUGE zombie movie nut, and Night of the Living Dead is the definitive classic.

In the Mouth of Madness was a good recommendation. Thanks, again, for that, Eric.

That puts me back to searching for new titles...

... But for now, I'll leave a recommendation of my own: If you haven't already, check out the zombie flick, Colin. It's not a big budget movie, but it's neat, because it tracks a young guy's gradual transformation from feeling human, to mindless hungry zombie, after he's wounded by one. It's available for streaming on Netflix.

I think we can all agree that the ultimate Horror/Sci-Fi movie of all time has gotta be "Alien." The later movies fed the Sci-Fi side more than the horror aspect, but were still kinda creepy.

"The Terminator" and "Predator" had some horror movie moments as well.

Also can't forget "The Thing."

Helter Skelter (1976) apparently still holds up well, for me, as a great horror movie. I've watched that, and a couple of related documentaries, recently. Charles Manson, and the sway he was able to exert on his troupe of disenfranchised flunkies, are, to me, the stuff of true horror. While watching it, I kept thinking about the Occupy Wall Street people...

Back