How to test a non-running engine before purchase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Coupe. 302 2V - C4 trans
I've got a buddy that is looking to buy a classic car (but not a mustang). The seller says the engine is original, but doesn't run.

What are the best tests that a person evaluating a car can do on an engine to determine if it is rebuildable?

Any and all thoughts appreciated...

Jay

Checking the oil dipstick for oil, any moisture and any rust on the dipstick to indicate moisture level inside the engine. Pull a valve cover and inspect.

If yuo can hook up a battery and bring a compression tester, perhaps a compression test would let you know current condition. Be sure to block the carb open and crank over at least 5 revolutions per cylinder.

Just assume and budget for that it needs a full rebuild or replaced - then if it needs anything less you will be happy.

I never crank a non running engine that I am going to have to tear down anyway. No need to risk scoring the crank or damaging the cylinder walls.

If there is green coolant in the radiator and brown oil in the pan and red fluid in the trans then that is a good sign.

If the engine is out of the car - that is a bad sign - you can't really check it and someone had a reason to pull it. Assume it is toast.

Non Running is good from a purchasing stand point - makes it cheaper. Long ago I tried to buy a non running car - played around with it a bit and got it started. The Jackass then doubled the asking price on me. I passed out of principle.

Sold an engine recently and the purchaser showed up with a very tiny digital camera on a snaking articulated shaft. This was not your typical bore scope - he was able to put it down a spark plug hole and then turn the head 180 degrees to look at the valves. He was able to go in the breathers and look at the valve train. He was even able to snake it around so he could see up into the bores from below through the oil drain. All he asked me to do was drain the oil. The engine had a dry sump oiling system and pulling the pan would take some time. He claimed the tool cost less than $1000.oo and had saved him more than that the first time he used it.

I want one just to play with!

- Paul of MO

Back