Installed a high torque (PMGR) starter :-)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
YAY! I managed to install a new starter today, very pleased.

I got this one from DB Electrical:

IMG_1563.jpg

More images here.

And here it is installed:

IMG_1897.JPG

I documented the whole proces of replacing the old starter on my blog:

- Installing a high torque mini starter

It took me 3 hours including time for taking pictures and lunch ;-)

Thanks to those who've given me advice about this :)

Cheers,

Vincent.

Yes, faster and more powerful. But the big win would be if it still cranks like that when the engine is hot. Not sure if I can still test that due to driving conditions deteriorating...

One thing I'd like to ask though (I forgot earlier): How close can the main power cable be to the exhaust manifold? It currently sits 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch away from the manifold/exhaust. Is that going to be a problem? I tried real hard to get it further away but every single time I tighten the bolt it would spin a little closer so in the end I gave up :-/

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought heat soak had to do with vaporizing fuel?

This starter should fix the Hot Start issue.

But my question is: is 1/2 an inch away from the exhaust to close for a power cable? Will it melt or catch fire?

1/2 is a little close. You need to make sure your cable is secured so it can't move. I had a shop work on my car years ago and they did not secure the cable and it shorted and burned my cable and created a dead short that killed power and melted my clamp about 2 miles from the shop when I took an entrance ramp a little aggressively.

You can also protect the cable with some heat shielding, but if it were me, I'd get a longer cable and reroute it to make sure it had at least an inch of clearance.

1/2 is a little close. You need to make sure your cable is secured so it can't move. I had a shop work on my car years ago and they did not secure the cable and it shorted and burned my cable and created a dead short that killed power and melted my clamp about 2 miles from the shop when I took an entrance ramp a little aggressively.

You can also protect the cable with some heat shielding, but if it were me, I'd get a longer cable and reroute it to make sure it had at least an inch of clearance.
Hi,

The point in the cable where it's so close to the exhaust can't move really as it's really close to where it's connected to the starter and the wire is really, really sturdy...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought heat soak had to do with vaporizing fuel?

This starter should fix the Hot Start issue.

But my question is: is 1/2 an inch away from the exhaust to close for a power cable? Will it melt or catch fire?
Yep. I miss typed. Hot start. :D

It solved my hot start problems.

I used heat shield tube to protect my cable. So far, so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
if it cannot move, you should be okay, exhaust heat shouldn't hurt the cable without direct contact. After a nice long drive and letting the car cool off take a look and if there is any sign of the insulation breaking down, then I would add heat shielding, if not I would be comfortable just le4aving it as is.

My car has headers and it was where the cable was about 18" from the starter where it contacted on mine.

Back