Intake Manifold Wrestling Match - Help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Len Tech AOD, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
I am replacing my intake manifold gaskets on my Q Code. Intake is an Offenhauser and it is not budging. The gasket appears to be of two layers, a thin metal sheet and a thin composite layer. Ends are RTV'd. Any tricks or suggestions to aid removal would be greatly appreciated.

a 2 foot long crow bar or pry bar.

Double check for missing bolts that might not have been removed. Check the hole spacing against a new gasket. Hate to break the manifold. Slow steady pressure has always worked for me.

Send a knife through the silicone end rails. Then start prying with a long thin flatblade.... I had to do that to the 390 in my F-350... and that thing has some end rails.... And the valve covers were also siliconed on... FML....

Last edited by a moderator:
Use thin bladed putty knife to break the seal between heads and intake (Gentle taps). Same with the ends. Gentle use of pry bar at intake corners.

To answer your question. . . yes.

Aluminum valve covers will make removal very difficult as the clearances get tight with their larger flange. You might get away with just removing 1 valve cover.

If you don't want to pull the distributor (I would) you can pull the wires off one side and lay the cap over on the shock tower. I pull wires from the cap as I find it a bit easier

To answer your question. . . yes.

Aluminum valve covers will make removal very difficult as the clearances get tight with their larger flange. You might get away with just removing 1 valve cover.

If you don't want to pull the distributor (I would) you can pull the wires off one side and lay the cap over on the shock tower. I pull wires from the cap as I find it a bit easier
I pulled the distributor when I started. Valve covers are off and I have "popped" the manifold (still in place) though). Taking a razor to the end seals as best I could as recommended above did the trick. That RTV black is tough stuff.

Thanks again.

Back