Interesting 73 28K convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill73Ragtop

Long time vintage mustang hobbyist
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Convertible Restomod enhanced.
former owner (25 yrs) of 1973 Convertible, 351c, A/C, RA
A friend of mine, Don, just pulled his 28K mileage 73 convertible out of storage where it has been languishing for the most part of the past 15 years. The car was originally from Ohio. It's still on the original Firestone wide oval bias tires, but he just ordered a new set of BF Goodrich radials that he will mount sometime next week. This convertible is a 302 with A/C and a trunk rack (which he hates). It was built in August 1972. Blue Glow with Argent accent and medium blue interior. I snapped a series of pics (some posted below), but may be able to get more on occasion if anyone is looking for a particular detail depending on when I can arrange to meet up with him when he has it out. He does not have a garage, so he keeps it in a rented garage 99% of the time. I've encouraged him to join 7273Mustang.com, so we'll see if he does. I've also given him OMS contact information since there are a few items he want to replace.

The only negative biggie on car is the previous owner had the car 'rust-proofed' by literally slathering the tar solution everywhere, including inside the hood. When its warm, the rust-proofing solution drips out of the hood onto things in the engine bay. There's probably 1/4" of rust-proofing on the underside. Let's face it, that's what the dealers sold to new owners back in the day telling them the car would last forever.

DSC00944-1.jpg

DSC00889-1.jpg

DSC00903-1.jpg

DSC00908-1.jpg

DSC00894-1.jpg

DSC00918-1.jpg

DSC00945-1.jpg

I would love to see the Marti on this car. It has a combination that is not stated in the sales brochure. Yes you could get the NASA hood on any model and yes you could get the argent or black out with hood locks on any model. What is odd is that the car does not have the Decor Group that is required to get the side stripe. It does have the correct grill and headlight molding for the Decor Group but does not have the lower bright side trim. This car has the painted break between the blue and argent and no bright trim. It is painted like a Mach 1 for 72 for the argent side. If it has a six digit DSO code that would be a big clue to a special order car and anything goes when that is present.

See if he will get the $18.00 Marti and publish it here.

I put a copy of page 10 from showroom brochure showing the Decor Group option and the side strip they just do not show both on the vert which was available.

David

Nice unique looking car. The mach 1 hood styling doesn't go with the luggage rack to much and the car almost seems like it is mismatched a bit, this is just my opinion only so use accordingly lol.

I strongly suggested he get a Marti Rpt ASAP since it is extremely useful. I forgot to mention the car also has power windows (which work really well). He has the dealer's side of the window sticker. I also suggested he get the Marti version of the full size window sticker as well as the report.

DSC00910-1.jpg

Beautiful car. ::thumb::

I think we have a new 'best picture' for the TuTone treatment reference thread. Looks a little odd without the Ram Air decals, but looks great nonetheless.

Man, I would have such a hard time not swapping on a set of Magnums or some other cool muscle car-looking rims to go with those BFGs.

That car is correct for the Decor Group. When so optioned - and also ordered with side tape stripes, the thin tape stripe replaced the bright molding. The invoice backs me up on this. So does your (David's) brochure pic.

Ray

Bill - does he still have those front color keyed floor mats as shown on the window sticker? My car came with those as well ( now long gone) . I just wondered what they looked like.

Steve: he does not have the floor mats -- they were missing when he got the car. Eric: he intends to get some Magnum 500's, but not at the moment.

He intends this year to get the car out and drive it around town on a weekend / nice day basis. I'm in agreement with him that new rubber is an immediate requirement since a major blowout or accident due to 40+ year old tires would be very detriment to the car. He has a set of the aluminum wheels correct for 73, but they are not in the greatest condition -- one of the wheels has some curb rash damage and the steel screws holding the center caps have welded themselves into position.

Sometime next week I plan to meet him at my cousin's shop to get it on a lift to do a serious safety inspection. I already mentioned he might as well order a new set of front brake hoses and new rear cylinders / rear brake hose since I suspect the originals may be in questionable condition for his plan of lots of suburban stop 'n go driving. As you can imagine the brake system is due for new brake fluid as well.

That car is correct for the Decor Group. When so optioned - and also ordered with side tape stripes, the thin tape stripe replaced the bright molding. The invoice backs me up on this. So does your (David's) brochure pic.

Ray
Ray,

What drives the bright molding going away with the Decor Group and the painted stripe dividing the blue and argent?

I think it is a great car for sure. The Marti window sticker will look the same as the one he has unless he goes for the Dealer Invoice that shows the cost of the options to the dealer.

David

Steve: he does not have the floor mats -- they were missing when he got the car. Eric: he intends to get some Magnum 500's, but not at the moment.

He intends this year to get the car out and drive it around town on a weekend / nice day basis. I'm in agreement with him that new rubber is an immediate requirement since a major blowout or accident due to 40+ year old tires would be very detriment to the car. He has a set of the aluminum wheels correct for 73, but they are not in the greatest condition -- one of the wheels has some curb rash damage and the steel screws holding the center caps have welded themselves into position.

Sometime next week I plan to meet him at my cousin's shop to get it on a lift to do a serious safety inspection. I already mentioned he might as well order a new set of front brake hoses and new rear cylinders / rear brake hose since I suspect the originals may be in questionable condition for his plan of lots of suburban stop 'n go driving. As you can imagine the brake system is due for new brake fluid as well.
I would be all for him going with the correct wheels on such a nice car. Mag. 500 rust so easily especially the new repo ones. I just turned down another set of 73 alu. wheels at a swap meet last week in Charlotte for $100 with no broke screws or road rash. The screws are pretty easy to get out because Ford drilled the hole all the way through the wheel. Turn the wheel over and fill the hole with penetrating oil, not WD-40 but some type of penetrating oil and let them sit. Then you can take a drill and use the back side of the wheel as a guide bushing and start to drill the broken screws out. Since you are coming from the back there is a good chance the drill will turn the screw out. If not you just finish drilling with correct tap drill and run a tap in. Always use anti seize on the screws in the aluminum wheels.

For sure keep the original tires, wheels, caps and trim rings.

It looks like he got one scrape on the right front fender but it is still a beautiful car hope he does not rattle can restore anything and post lots of pictures of everything.

You might be surprised at the condition inside the wheel cylinders. For sure replace the seals. Same for the front disc calipers. Simple to replace the seal and dust boot and the piston is seldom damaged just clean with fine steel wool. Pull the master cylinder and do the same for it. The 1950 Ford I have with 16,000 miles did not have any rust inside the wheel cylinders or master cylinder just replaced all the seals and put back together. It sat for 46 years without being driven and was fine. It still has the original 66 year old tires on it that never loose air.

Great car just hope he does not take it away from original. They are only original once then they are just another restored mustang in the herd.

David

Bill - does he still have those front color keyed floor mats as shown on the window sticker? My car came with those as well ( now long gone) . I just wondered what they looked like.
The floor mats for 73 that came from the factory look entirely different than the 72 back. They do not have the running horse or any reference to the mustang. They are molded in color with an insert of something similar to indoor outdoor carpet. You could still order the rubber mats with the running horse as a dealer option. But if you ordered the mats from the factory you got the rubber with the carpet inserts, color keyed, as shown in the dealer accessory catalog center bottom of page for floor mats, pic attached. I have a set of the red ones including front and rear and my Mach 1 came with the brown ones I ordered new and they are on the window sticker. You had to order the rear mats from the dealer they did not come from the factory.

Ray and I have had lots of conversation about this and Steve also since he was at a dealership then.

David

Floor-Mats-73.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out something interesting lately since it appears this car might still have the original factory top.

There is a National MCA show here in Buffalo this July. In order to enter a car and have it judged, you now need to be a member of the MCA, so I renewed my membeship after being away for the past 4 years. One of the benefits of being a MCA is you have access to the Judging Rules for all mustangs. I realize there is lots of pro's and con's regarding the MCA, but that's another topic of discussion for another time. A friend of mine is entering his 72 Q-code Mach 1 in the Concours Driven class so I was reviewing the 71-73 Concours Judging Rules over the weekend since we are planning on going over this car to detail it where needed (i.e. paint stripes on driveshaft, etc).

Anyway, I noticed that 71-73 factory convertible tops used a 2-piece plastic vinyl trim strip at the rear bow. The more common rolled canvas trim strip that I usually see is a replacement top part. I saw this 2-piece plastic trim strip on Don's car and thought "well, that looks cheap, it must be a low cost replacement top." I also noticed the screws holding the front bow weatherstrip had been changed from small head black phillips to large head chrome phillips which also led me to think the top had been replaced, but know I'm thinking the front weatherstrip probably was changed (they leaked more often than not at the front bow in the rain), but the top could very well be original factory.

Next time I see the car I'll take some more detailed pics and maybe with the help of this forum figure out if it is original or not. My problem is I may have seen one or two original un-restored 71-73 convertibles, but never paid much attention that the top details such as that trim strip. 99% of what I see have replacement tops.

I found out something interesting lately since it appears this car might still have the original factory top.

There is a National MCA show here in Buffalo this July. In order to enter a car and have it judged, you now need to be a member of the MCA, so I renewed my membeship after being away for the past 4 years. One of the benefits of being a MCA is you have access to the Judging Rules for all mustangs. I realize there is lots of pro's and con's regarding the MCA, but that's another topic of discussion for another time. A friend of mine is entering his 72 Q-code Mach 1 in the Concours Driven class so I was reviewing the 71-73 Concours Judging Rules over the weekend since we are planning on going over this car to detail it where needed (i.e. paint stripes on driveshaft, etc).

Anyway, I noticed that 71-73 factory convertible tops used a 2-piece plastic vinyl trim strip at the rear bow. The more common rolled canvas trim strip that I usually see is a replacement top part. I saw this 2-piece plastic trim strip on Don's car and thought "well, that looks cheap, it must be a low cost replacement top." I also noticed the screws holding the front bow weatherstrip had been changed from small head black phillips to large head chrome phillips which also led me to think the top had been replaced, but know I'm thinking the front weatherstrip probably was changed (they leaked more often than not at the front bow in the rain), but the top could very well be original factory.

Next time I see the car I'll take some more detailed pics and maybe with the help of this forum figure out if it is original or not. My problem is I may have seen one or two original un-restored 71-73 convertibles, but never paid much attention that the top details such as that trim strip. 99% of what I see have replacement tops.
I do not know where to look for the Ford number on the actual top. Most aftermarket tops have a tag sewn into the top around the rear window insert usually on the drivers side. That is what I have seen on the 5 that I have. That would be a really rare thing to have original top. Cars in the north do have better trim than the south and west for sure.

I would not touch anything on the car for the show other than clean it. If you try to restore paint markings you are in different class. It use to be there was an un-restored original class that allowed a certain percentage of outside paint to be new. They are only original once and you cannot go back. They did not use to look under the cars if they were in the street driven class either. The trailer queens go up on a rack now at most big MCA shows.

Back