Interior shell paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 351c 4 speed
Howdy, I have almost finished up the structural welding in the car and I am getting close to assembly. Just wondering what you guys have the interior metal finished with in paint. I currently have the floor and trunk pans brush painted in Eastwood rust encapsulator platinum. I’m thinking I should coat the rest of the entire interior shell in something, roof, wheel wells, etc. It is currently just the factory finish but it’s in bad shape so it should be coated in something to prevent rust especially up here in the Midwest. I have access to a 60gal high cfm air compressor so spraying paint is ok if needed. Whether it be sprayed flat black, lizard skin, sound deadening, etc. My main concerns are preventing rust as well as sound protection, I’ll be spending extra money on materials and the carpet as well, just to keep in mind. Thanks.

I used lizardskin sound and heat after the platinum inside.

Rust oleum satin black where I didn’t put lizardskin as I have a black interior
Did you use the lizard skin on just the bottom half and then black on the roof and sides and such? What you did is currently what I am scheming. Thanks for the input.

Zach, I'm actually in the same boat on mine....it’s on the list of next to do. Make sure to post some pics of how you end up approaching it. I've been considering the eastwood and lizard skin myself.
Will do. I have a build thread but I am terrible at keeping it updated.

Did you use the lizard skin on just the bottom half and then black on the roof and sides and such? What you did is currently what I am scheming. Thanks for the input.

Will do. I have a build thread but I am terrible at keeping it updated.
I did lizardskin everywhere I could.

Not the pillars.

I also did use Eastwood chassis spray with the 24” tube that sprays 360 degrees in the frame rails and the pillars

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0669.jpeg
    IMG_0669.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0670.jpeg
    IMG_0670.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0675.jpeg
    IMG_0675.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0707.jpeg
    IMG_0707.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0719.jpeg
    IMG_0719.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0725.jpeg
    IMG_0725.jpeg
    478.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0727.jpeg
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0730.jpeg
    IMG_0730.jpeg
    426.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0733.jpeg
    IMG_0733.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0736.jpeg
    IMG_0736.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0749.jpeg
    IMG_0749.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0748.jpeg
    IMG_0748.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0750.jpeg
    IMG_0750.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0751.jpeg
    IMG_0751.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0752.jpeg
    IMG_0752.jpeg
    452.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0753.jpeg
    IMG_0753.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0755.jpeg
    IMG_0755.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0774.jpeg
    IMG_0774.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 1
I did lizardskin everywhere I could.

Not the pillars.

I also did use Eastwood chassis spray with the 24” tube that sprays 360 degrees in the frame rails and the pillars
Great pictures, will be a big help. Seeing what you did I am going to go back in with more rust encapsulator and coat the rest.. Haven't looked into lizard skin much so I am unsure its specifics but how much did you use and what do you use to spray it? Thanks again.

I did lizardskin as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    474.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1534 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1534 - Copy.JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    455.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    464.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1540 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1540 - Copy.JPG
    503 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    588.5 KB · Views: 1
Great pictures, will be a big help. Seeing what you did I am going to go back in with more rust encapsulator and coat the rest.. Haven't looked into lizard skin much so I am unsure its specifics but how much did you use and what do you use to spray it? Thanks again.
They sell a spray kit with a gun and a stir for a drill. I tried using an undercoat gun, but I didn’t get good results.

If I remember correctly I used two buckets of each.

I am lucky. Summit racing is an hour away so I didn’t have to have it shipped.

My only caution is the it will absorb spilled fluids. I still don’t have carpet down and when my heater core clamps were not tightened enough coolant came in. It is stained there.

I sealed the interior sheet metal with epoxy primer and then painted it the body color and then applied X-mat sound/heat insulator to floor and roof and sprayed boom mat on the inner side of the door skins, quarter panels and wheel wells. The bottom of the car I also sprayed with epoxy primer, and then painted with Chassis Saver which is a POR15 type product I just like the Chassis Saver brand better personally.

I have had better luck over the years with sound/heat insulation padding than spray-on products, just a personal preference, I guess.

I can say now that I have it on the road it is nice and quiet in the vehicle, so I am happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• Mach 1 (577).jpg
    Mach 1 (577).jpg
    812 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 (580).jpg
    Mach 1 (580).jpg
    858.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 (576).jpg
    Mach 1 (576).jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Mach 1 (244).jpg
    Mach 1 (244).jpg
    230 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 (342).jpg
    Mach 1 (342).jpg
    200 KB · Views: 1
I sealed the interior sheet metal with epoxy primer and then painted it the body color and then applied X-mat sound/heat insulator to floor and roof and sprayed boom mat on the inner side of the door skins, quarter panels and wheel wells. The bottom of the car I also sprayed with epoxy primer, and then painted with Chassis Saver which is a POR15 type product I just like the Chassis Saver brand better personally.

I have had better luck over the years with sound/heat insulation padding than spray-on products, just a personal preference, I guess.

I can say now that I have it on the road it is nice and quiet in the vehicle, so I am happy with how it turned out.
For how much lizard skin will cost I’m starting to ease away, spray gun, gallons, shipping, etc. if you are having great results with the mats and I think I saw you have mass backed carpet in your thread maybe I stick to my original plan. Although I do need to paint the rest in rust stuff and then top coat black. Thanks.

Out of curiosity I have never been in or seen a 71 mustang interior in person does any of the metal show? Outside of the door jams.

For how much lizard skin will cost I’m starting to ease away, spray gun, gallons, shipping, etc. if you are having great results with the mats and I think I saw you have mass backed carpet in your thread maybe I stick to my original plan. Although I do need to paint the rest in rust stuff and then top coat black. Thanks.

Out of curiosity I have never been in or seen a 71 mustang interior in person does any of the metal show? Outside of the door jams.
None of the metal shows really, it is the same as your 73. I just wanted to spray body color like it would have been from the factory. My car has a a fold down seat so you can see some of the paint if you look closely around the seat latch but by design you shouldn't see any body color.

Attachments

• Mach 1 952.jpg
    Mach 1 952.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 954.jpg
    Mach 1 954.jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Mach 1 941.jpg
    Mach 1 941.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 0

The lizardskin heat REALLY works

As u said I haven’t put a floor covering in yet.

My 3” exhaust is running close to the floor

I can comfortably put my hand in the floor with the exhaust running directly beneath it.

Same with the roof. The car sitting in the Texas heat and I could put my hand on the inside comfortably.

Summit ships over $100 for free. I just wouldn’t add any other items in that shipment for fear of damaging the other stuff.

hmm maybe I do 2 gallons of lizard sound deadening, a gallon of their heat shield, and top it off with some sound deadening pads in some areas. Will be a very hopped up engine, 408 with 3vs, and it'll be my moms car so I want her to be comfortable (also her funds).

hmm maybe I do 2 gallons of lizard sound deadening, a gallon of their heat shield, and top it off with some sound deadening pads in some areas. Will be a very hopped up engine, 408 with 3vs, and it'll be my moms car so I want her to be comfortable (also her funds).
I have 3” hooker max flow mufflers with turn downs. 3” x-pipe.

Definitely helps. I learned about lizardskin from when demo ranch Mat was building his coda at the musclerod shop.

They used lizardskin then hushmat.

My project stalled when I got layed off. I plan on hushmat and they carpet at some point.

Also plan on finishing the exhaust to be side exit.

Attachments

• IMG_6654.mov
    33.1 MB
  • IMG_1603.jpeg
    IMG_1603.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
Back