Is it a lost cause?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upon closer inspection, it wasn't just the bumper but the entire frame, floors, and pretty much everything on the underbelly is rusted beyond repair. It would probably cost several thousands if not tens of thousands to restore to an operational state. So looks like I'll be selling it. I'll wait until I move to a place with a garage before I buy another.
Well that's a tough one!  Now it comes down to how sentimental is the car to you.  Only you can really answer that for yourself.

I just project managed a restoration of a 1975 VW Bug, this was a rare bug and it was the first car this lady purchased ever.  She drove it through college and shortly after her PHD she parked...in shed in Iowa with mostly dirt floors. 

She loved the car but the frame was totally gone - it nearly broke in half when they put it on the trailer to get it out there to AZ.   At about $25k the car is now beautiful....however most of it is from another VW.  I think the hood, trunk lid, one door and one fender is original.  Most of the interior is new.  The dash was original, steering wheel and the seat frame are original. The engine is original  - the block - nothing else.  Even had her parking pass and college parking stickers reproduced.

So we kept as much as possible so that the sentimental value carried over for her.

If it were me, wouldn't have done it.  Maybe find a few parts that are good and pull them off your Stang and put them on the next Mustang.

Tim

It means a lot to me, but I just plain don't have the money it needs. It's time to say goodbye to it.

Back